SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

COMET NEOWISE VISIBLE IN MORNING SKY - at least from Arizona!

Comet Neowise now visible in the morning sky in Arizona.  I'd urge everyone to look for it as soon as it comes into view for their location.  As with any comet, you never know what's going to happen next - good or bad.  Below courtesy of spaceweather.cm

COMET NEOWISE SIGHTINGS: Comet NEOWISE (C/2020 F3) is brightening rapidly as it passes by the sun. On July 1st, Ray Brooks of the Arizona Sky Village near Tucson saw the comet through binoculars just before sunrise. "Wow-- it was very bright, near magnitude +1," he reports. "If the comet were in dark skies at a decent elevation, it would be a spectacular naked-eye object."

It's even brighter today. "I estimate magnitude 0," says Petr Horálek of the Czech Republic, who spotted the comet this morning, July 2nd, beneath a rippling bank of noctilucent clouds (NLCs):

noctilucentcomet_strip.jpg

"While watching these (spectacular!) NLCs over Proseč u Chrudimi, I began to wonder if Comet NEOWISE could be in the view--and my hopes were fulfilled!" says Horálek. "I was able to photograph the comet using a Canon 6D digital camera (Sigma 50mm, f1.4, ISO 400, 1/2sec) despite haze and clouds near the horizon."

Oscar Martín Mesonero of Salamanca, Spain, also saw the comet in morning twilight:

tail_strip.jpg

Mesonero's picture, taken through an ED80 Skywatcher telescope, shows a hint of a fan-shaped or split tail. The same shape was visible in SOHO images taken last week.

"Fingers crossed that Comet NEOWISE will not die like Comets ATLAS and SWAN," says Horálek. "It could be something truly spectacular in the days ahead!"

• Like 5

Looking good - fingers crossed!

Next clear skies looks to be Monday morning for a glimpse. Just need to find a high enough elevation across to the North East. Haven't seen a good comet since Halle Bopp in the late 90s.

• Like 3

Shame at an estimated mag 0 it's too close too the sun still to see with the naked eye. 

Had contemplated a pre-dawn drive early Monday morning to a dark sky area with close to horizon visibility to try and see, but as I'll only be armed with binoculars and a dslr it may still be too faint at the moment. 

Just depends how quickly the mag is going to drop now as it drifts away from the sun

Edited by dd999

I am planning to get up before dawn and see if I can view it, I am currently in Norwich but at the edge of the city, so a quick bicycle ride with binos and camera at the ready.

Wish me luck chaps!

I was out this morning with my binos and even my camera, but off to the East there was just too much distant scattered clouds.

Fought the swarms of mosquitos till heavens above showed it at 11.3° and the sky was getting bright enough only Venus was visible.

5 hours ago, MoonNut said:

I am planning to get up before dawn and see if I can view it, I am currently in Norwich but at the edge of the city, so a quick bicycle ride with binos and camera at the ready.

Wish me luck chaps!

Me too, camera and Binoculars at the ready!

Well, I got up, got out and saw the comet :)

Very nice in the binos but could not pick it out naked eye.  Tried some DSLR photography and captured it, but so feint that it is just a small fuzzy patch.

But, I got it!!!

Surprised at how light the sky was to the North.

I was also treated to the Saturn/Moon/Jupiter conjunction, Mars looking splendid and Venus rising through the trees!

All finished off by the ISS passing overhead at 03:58.

Glad I managed to drag myself out of bed!

• Like 7