Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

GavinC

Synscan - Alignment Sharing

Posted (edited)

I thought the recent email exchange between Skywatcher support and myself might be of interest, as there appears little information available on this feature.

===========================================

Hi Gavin,

Regarding "Alignment Sharing", please see the description below.

## Alignment Sharing
Alignment data is stored in each individual app instance. This means if you performed alignment using one app instance, only it will have the newly created alignment data. If another app instance connects to the same mount, it will not have access to the new alignment data.

The alignment sharing feature (**Utility > Alignment Sharing**) allows one app instance to send a copy of alignment data to another app instance. For it to work, the devices running the app instances must be on the same local area network (eg connect to the same Wi-Fi network). The sending instance turns on **Share my alignment**, while the receiving instance turns off this option. The receiving instance should then see the shared alignment data appear in a list. Loading alignment data overwrites the previous alignment data.

You can use the Alignment Sharing to transfer the alignment data to another device after completing a Star Alignment. For example, you have done and successfully complete 2-Star alignment with your smartphone and then you can use the Alignment Sharing function to share the alignment data to the SynScan Pro App Windows program which is running on your PC. Then you don't have to do the alignment again to control the same AZ GOTO mount with the Windows SynScan App because it has the same alignment result as your smartphone has.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Thank you.

SynScan App Team

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 1:22 AM Gavin Cox wrote:
Hello,

I have just seen you have updated the Synscan app firmware to 1.19.  I have this installed on a Win PC and Android phone and use it to control a AZ GOTO mount running the latest firmware using the Synscan Wifi Dongle.

There looks to be some new functionality under the utility menu called 'alignment sharing', but I can't find any documentation in the help files on this?

Please can you detail how it can be used?  If both my phone and PC are connected to the SynScan WiFi hotspot and I perform an alignment on my phone will the app on the PC recognise this too (or vice versa)?

Thank you,

Gavin

Edited by GavinC
  • Like 3

Sounds good, just what I need. I’ll give it a try. Thank you

On 03/07/2020 at 09:08, GavinC said:

I thought the recent email exchange between Skywatcher support and myself might be of interest, as there appears little information available on this feature.

===========================================

Hi Gavin,

Regarding "Alignment Sharing", please see the description below.

## Alignment Sharing
Alignment data is stored in each individual app instance. This means if you performed alignment using one app instance, only it will have the newly created alignment data. If another app instance connects to the same mount, it will not have access to the new alignment data.

The alignment sharing feature (**Utility > Alignment Sharing**) allows one app instance to send a copy of alignment data to another app instance. For it to work, the devices running the app instances must be on the same local area network (eg connect to the same Wi-Fi network). The sending instance turns on **Share my alignment**, while the receiving instance turns off this option. The receiving instance should then see the shared alignment data appear in a list. Loading alignment data overwrites the previous alignment data.

You can use the Alignment Sharing to transfer the alignment data to another device after completing a Star Alignment. For example, you have done and successfully complete 2-Star alignment with your smartphone and then you can use the Alignment Sharing function to share the alignment data to the SynScan Pro App Windows program which is running on your PC. Then you don't have to do the alignment again to control the same AZ GOTO mount with the Windows SynScan App because it has the same alignment result as your smartphone has.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Thank you.

SynScan App Team

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 1:22 AM Gavin Cox wrote:
Hello,

I have just seen you have updated the Synscan app firmware to 1.19.  I have this installed on a Win PC and Android phone and use it to control a AZ GOTO mount running the latest firmware using the Synscan Wifi Dongle.

There looks to be some new functionality under the utility menu called 'alignment sharing', but I can't find any documentation in the help files on this?

Please can you detail how it can be used?  If both my phone and PC are connected to the SynScan WiFi hotspot and I perform an alignment on my phone will the app on the PC recognise this too (or vice versa)?

Thank you,

Gavin

Many thanks for this message. Just tested it out using my iPad outside to align the sun. Then parked it. Shared the alignment with the laptop. Then using my laptop  I slewed to the sun. Spot on the dot. Been wanting to be able to do this for ages. Saved a lot of effort