Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 150ED Pro.

I've just taken delivery of one of these as an upgraded finder for our 16" SCT, pre-owned but only 2 months old so as nearly brand new as you could get.  Overcast so no chance as yet to try it out astronomically but terrestrially it looks excellent.  We have a "test" object here, a small label on a distant transformer, black writing on a white background, a good test for resolution and CA.  It easily stood 400x with crystal clear writing and only a hint of CA. It's quite a lump but manageable, it's not just a SW Evostar 150mm F8 with an ED doublet tacked on.  The tube diameter is larger than the standard Evostar and there is a nice dual speed Crayford rather than a basic R&P.  The lens coatings and the multiple internal baffling cut down reflections so well that you have to look carefully to see that there is actually a lens installed.  I have been wanting to see how one of these performed since they were first announced, I will report back ASAP.    🙂   

• Like 10

Look forward to your report Peter.

So glad that they have sorted things out with these since the problems that I had with the early ones that I was sent.

I've seen some amazing lunar images taken with the ED150 on another forum. I always though these scopes had a lot of potential despite the early issues.

36 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

How is that Peter?

Also, will your new finder have its own finder as well? 😆

For whatever reason, the main tube of the ED is approx 6.25" whereas the achro is 5.5"

Joking aside, although the ED will be used as a finder it doubles up as bona fide telescope to complement the SCT.  There is also a Telrad!     🙂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

Good point!  The public demand photos!

Not mounted on the 16" yet.  The scope looks the same as those in the adverts.         🙂

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Peter Drew said:

Not mounted on the 16" yet.  The scope looks the same as those in the adverts.         🙂

Have one of mine :smiley:

P1080671.JPG.68eff451dd5f1ffadb54dd15a73129bb.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Very nice, thank you, but where's the 16" SCT?        🙂     

I'll photoshop one in !

The mount might break though .....

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, John said:

Look forward to your report Peter.

So glad that they have sorted things out with these since the problems that I had with the early ones that I was sent.

I've seen some amazing lunar images taken with the ED150 on another forum. I always though these scopes had a lot of potential despite the early issues.

They've certainly sorted out the packaging, you stand more chance of damaging the scope prising it out of its foam cocoon!      🙂

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

I've just taken delivery of one of these as an upgraded finder for our 16" SCT, pre-owned but only 2 months old so as nearly brand new as you could get.  Overcast so no chance as yet to try it out astronomically but terrestrially it looks excellent.  We have a "test" object here, a small label on a distant transformer, black writing on a white background, a good test for resolution and CA.  It easily stood 400x with crystal clear writing and only a hint of CA. It's quite a lump but manageable, it's not just a SW Evostar 150mm F8 with an ED doublet tacked on.  The tube diameter is larger than the standard Evostar and there is a nice dual speed Crayford rather than a basic R&P.  The lens coatings and the multiple internal baffling cut down reflections so well that you have to look carefully to see that there is actually a lens installed.  I have been wanting to see how one of these performed since they were first announced, I will report back ASAP.    🙂   

Now come on Peter.  Do you seriously think that anyone believes you've bought the 150ED as an upgraded finder for that SC on steroids?

Everyone knows that you've lusted for a long time over a good size quality apo refractor that will give better planetary images for the Mars opposition than the 'jack of all trades'  SC you've used up to now. 

Admit it, you've always wanted one  😄.

22 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Now come on Peter.  Do you seriously think that anyone believes you've bought the 150ED as an upgraded finder for that SC on steroids?

Everyone knows that you've lusted for a long time over a good size quality apo refractor that will give better planetary images for the Mars opposition than the 'jack of all trades'  SC you've used up to now. 

Admit it, you've always wanted one  😄.

Well, we've used a 150mm F8 CR6 on the 16" for some time now as a finder and general purpose small refractor, the SW 150ED will be a direct replacement with little modification and should provide even better results.  It will be easily detatched should we need to use it elsewhere.  The only other mod I can think of (unless focus can't be reached with binoviewers:evil4:) is to possibly respray the main tube, everyone except SW knows that refractor tubes should be white.  It would also then match the colour of the SCT.

And yes, I've always wanted to know what the 150ED was like and now I have the chance to find out, looks very promising so far.     🙂    

• Like 5