Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope Advice - Where to go now?

so I think my Nexstar 127slt mount has died. I keep getting 'initializing' on the handset when i turn it on, have tried different power sources, tried the aux port, reset pressing 0 and updated firmware - all result in the same issue. because of this i cant use the scope, im waiting to hear from Celestron support tomorrow hopefully. 

I've had the scope for years so theres no warranty anymore and just considering my options. I see them as:

1. Potentially buy a new handset (if this is the issue) - which could be the starsense version (i've always wanted one). At least £100 for a replacement or £200 odd for the starsense version

2. Potentially buy a new mount (if that is the issue) i guess around £200

3. Buy a whole new scope and try and sell the 127 OTA - i've always wanted the 6SE, is this my opportunity?

potentially Celestron will have something which will help the issue, but just wanted peoples thoughts. I dont know how realistic it is to try and sell the 127 OTA - do people even want these on their own? 

I guess what i obviously want people to say is 'buy the 6se you have always wanted' but maybe i need grounding and some sensible advice - there could be something i havent thought of.

Many thanks

Andrew

Perhaps ask for Celestron's help first before writing off the SLT mount. Or as you say, it could the chance for an upgrade. 

You'll have no problem selling the OTA on its own. The scope has a standard Vixen dovetail, so will attach to whole host of different mounts. Perhaps you may want to do that yourself instead of selling the scope. Its a great scope, identical to the Skywatcher Skymax 127. The C6 is also a great scope, we have one, it replaced our Skymax 127 many moons ago. I only did it at the time as the C6 was cheap and the 127 sold for the same money. Otherwise i wouldn't have bothered. 

Perhaps if you are going to upgrade, it maybe worth going up two rungs on the ladder to the C8? The jump is a good one. Difference between the 127 and C6 is small.

• Like 1

My worry with the 8se is stability, from what I read the 8se is right at the limit of the SE mount. I’m trying not to write off the SLT and not desperate to upgrade, just trying to think of options.

From what I gather it’s either an issue with the mount or handset, both could be costly unless there is something celestron come up with to fix the issue.

therefore in my eyes I was thinking if I’m going to spend a couple of hundred to buy a handset or new mount, should I try and sell the OTA and out the money towards to the 6se.

of course all of this I would need to run past my wife first 😊

What is the issue with the handset/mount?  Mine gave an error a couple of times, and I fixed it by re-loading the mount firmware AFAIR.  A bit of a faff, but did not cost me anything other than for the cable and serial/USB interface.

The 8 SE - stability for what?  It is at the limit with the C8 OTA, but is still perfectly usable as a visual scope, especially if you keep the tripod legs retracted.  If you want it purely for visual use, don't let the stability issue deter you.  If you have put up with the 127mm Mak on the SLT mount, you should not find the stability of the C8 SE an issue.

You cannot just buy the Starsense handset - it is part of a handset/camera package costing £300, and without the camera it just gives a startup error.

It is possible to buy the Nexstar+ handset if that is definitely the problem, and not the handset or mount firmware or other cause.

I recommend that you get the mount properly diagnosed before doing anything else.  You may find www.nexstarsite.com  helpful.

I would suggest the Skywatcher AZ-GTi. It is in budget and will handle the 127. Or you could just buy the 6SE telescope without the mount. The AZ-GTi will handle it as well. I have it and it is a great mount! 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-gti-wifi/sky-watcher-az-gti-wifi-alt-az-mount-tripod.html

• Like 1

I did not read the original post very carefully. ☹️ Seems like the OP did all he reasonably could to check out the fault, which is probably a faulty handset.  If the OP acts quickly, there is a Nexstar+ handset for sale for 50 pounds in the For Sale section of this forum.

firstly, thanks for all your feedback. Celestron got in touch today and all but confirmed it is probably a handset issue and there was nothing else they could suggest that i hadnt already done. Therefore i tried everything again, 0 when powering up, firmware update, but still just stuck on 'initialize' and wont let me slew or go into any options. Its so strange as i used it a few days ago but i guess its just rotten luck.

I'll have to have a think if i buy a new handset or pull the trigger on a new scope and try and sell the OTA.  At the minute i cant do anything with it as cant even move manually. My worry with buying a handset is if its the mount itself thats causing the issue.

i'll have a think about how to proceed. thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, Andy38416 said:

firstly, thanks for all your feedback. Celestron got in touch today and all but confirmed it is probably a handset issue and there was nothing else they could suggest that i hadnt already done. Therefore i tried everything again, 0 when powering up, firmware update, but still just stuck on 'initialize' and wont let me slew or go into any options. Its so strange as i used it a few days ago but i guess its just rotten luck.

I'll have to have a think if i buy a new handset or pull the trigger on a new scope and try and sell the OTA.  At the minute i cant do anything with it as cant even move manually. My worry with buying a handset is if its the mount itself thats causing the issue.

i'll have a think about how to proceed. thanks for your help.

Hi. Just noticed your location. Altair Astro are just down the road from you. Perhaps you could get them to test with another handset?

3 hours ago, Andy38416 said:

My worry with buying a handset is if its the mount itself thats causing the issue.

If the handset was OK and the mount faulty,  you probably would get an Error 16 or Error 17 (horizontal or vertical drive circuit not responding). There is not much in the base besides the horizontal and vertical drive circuits.  You might care to unplug one of these drive circuits and see if it makes any difference on the display. 

If you buy a handset and then decide to upgrade the scope,  you would get more for the SLT working than as spares/scrap, so you could recover the cost of the repair. Your OTA would definitely sell.

At minimum, it seems you are going to have to pay the cost of a handset to get a repaired scope outfit (and a lot more if you upgrade).  

my brother has a Nexstar evolution 9.25 so I’m going to try and meet up with him over the weekend and try his handset in my slt - obviously socially distanced.

i believe the handset is exactly the same. I agree with Cosmic Geoffs comments that the 127 will sell better working rather than just the OTA. I just wanted to double check with another handset before I buy another one.

i’ve genuinely been down about it since celestron said it’s not a software issue. It makes sense to spend £115 on a handset rather than £800 odd on the 6se (even if I really do want that orange tube!).

1 hour ago, Andy38416 said:

i believe the handset is exactly the same.

Physically exactly the same, but the firmware may not be the same.  With any luck it will at least demonstrate that your SLT handset is at fault, and it may work fully.  If anything weird happens, you may have to do a bit of research to get the full picture, i.e which firmware serves which group of mounts.  When I flashed my SLT firmware a couple of years ago, I think there were just two options, one being the wrong one... Was it alt-az and EQ?  I found that my C8 SE seemed to work with its original Nexstar handset, with the Nexstar+ handset from the SLT, and a Starsense, without having to reprogram anything. 

I'd say buy the 6se, only because it will make me feel better about spending lots on a new mount ;)

Have you found any good places around Norwich to do your viewing from, away from the glow of the city?

I'll keep an eye out for a big orange tube in the countryside.

So I tried my brothers Nexstar controller today and it all worked fine straight away, so it must be an issue with the controller. 

I will probably buy the sky portal adapter for now and use my phone to connect instead of buying another handset. That way when I upgrade to the Nexstar SE I can just use it on that too.

thanks for everyone’s help.