Narrowband

Scopetech Zero Mount

Stu

2 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Also interested, as I'm thinking of creating an ultra portable setup with the Scopetech and one of my small Taks 🤔😁

Well worth it, that’s exactly what I do.

A52F2295-8174-4D87-A473-D4675BE8C9AC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

+1 for a 70mm-ish scope on the zero plus CF tripod. I've used my ZS73 in this setup with both the Gitzo 5 which is super solid, and the Gitzo Traveller Series 2 which is still very good and also fits in the side of a Thinktank backpack 🤘

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2022 at 13:03, JeremyS said:

Me too. Which did you go for?

Innorel RT90C.  I much prefer the form factor of the 90C and its size when collapsed compared to my Frotto 475B, but my 102ED still seems to be too much for the Zero and 90C.  Damping time is better, but it's still longer than I had hoped.

I'm fighting the feeling that it's time to sell my ST120 and 102ED and get a fast 80ED.  Maybe light, solid, and aperture just don't go together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, jjohnson3803 said:

[...] my 102ED still seems to be too much for the Zero and 90C.  Damping time is better, but it's still longer than I had hoped.

Update - I took out my 102ED this morning for some lunar observing and while the image was spectacular, the mount / tripod combo are really too jittery for my tastes.  It was rather cold and maybe that had some effect, and maybe it was partly due to sticky grease in the focuser, but I have to seriously consider a different mount (Stellarvue M2C?) or using lighter scopes.   :undecided:   FWIW.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, jjohnson3803 said:

Update - I took out my 102ED this morning for some lunar observing and while the image was spectacular, the mount / tripod combo are really too jittery for my tastes.  It was rather cold and maybe that had some effect, and maybe it was partly due to sticky grease in the focuser, but I have to seriously consider a different mount (Stellarvue M2C?) or using lighter scopes.   :undecided:   FWIW.

I've always found the ScopeTech Zero (on Report 472 tripod) works perfectly with my grab and go setup of either the FC-76DCU or FS-60CB... however my FC-100DZ I feel is just a bit too much for this mount and although it will carry it, their is too much jitter as well for me 😬

Switching down to an 80ED might indeed by a good solution, as this is intended as a lightweight mount... or indeed looking at another mount 🤔

FWIW, the AZ75 carries my FC-100DZ perfectly (on a Uni 28 tripod) and it jitter free, although it is considerably heavier than the Scopetech!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1