Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scopetech Zero Mount

Stu

16 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

I was hoping someone would do push to encoders.

I’m sure Serge at Astro Devices either has something or could make a kit to fit if requested.

The kit is quite expensive, I had expected it to cost two or three hundred less.  I suspect the price is high because it's probably very well made, lightweight as it may be.  FLO is saying it will be 10-15 days until they have them.  I look forward to using it. 

I'm assuming the weight capacity will be unchanged, at 7 kg?  I don't know why it would be any more or less. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

How much for the AZ100 goto kit then…

It makes one wonder, doesn't it?  As full featured and heavy duty as the Rowan kit is in comparison to the Scopetech kit, perhaps we should brace ourselves.  In November Derek Rose said he hoped it would be about 6 months, so it might be any day...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Wow that is expensive. 🙀  The iOptron AZ Mount Pro mount is a lot cheaper and while heavier will be a lot more capable.

I’ve had the AZ Mount Pro for almost a year, it’s a superb goto Alt Az mount. Very easy to align (it has built in GPS and compass), good payload capacity and dual scope capability. Having a built in rechargeable battery means there is no cable to tangle in use.

The ScopeTech is still my favourite for grab and go though, and I could see this goto motor kit being useful, but it’s rather an expensive upgrade and might add significant weight too🤔

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/05/2021 at 21:06, Deadlake said:

The motorised goto mount seems to of been pulled, any ideas why?

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

First I’ve heard. I saw somebody posting in CN in the last few days saying they have one.

Perhaps too pricey?

5 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

I think there was a problem of some sort which has meant any further production is postponed, uncertain when it will recommence.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/06/2021 at 15:04, Deadlake said:

Ted at Astro Hutech told me a few weeks ago that the guy who designed and made the kits had his house burn down.  He lost everything, but is going to re-start the business apparently.  It won't be real soon, obviously. 

I got one of the (extremely?) few motor drive kits Ted sold before the fire, and just installed it today.  It looks to be well made, and slews slowly but quietly.  It runs in conjunction with SkySafari, so it's super easy to align and use.  I'm very impressed!

My FOA-60Q full kit minus the tripod, in a case a little bigger than a carry-on.  The mount with motors doesn't take up much space, and it weighs only a bit more than the stock mount. 

20210621_202938.jpg

• Like 5

The tracking kit and a Mount Zero, just out of the box.  The motor cables and connectors are of high quality, reminding me of audiophile equipment.  Everything appears well constructed, but it is a minimalist drive kit so it looks sparse with its exposed motors and wires.  Is this mount worth the $1325 it costs with the drive kit?  Maybe, if you want something unique, compact, and made in Japan.  I haven't observed with it yet, but I'm expecting it to perform well and last a long time.   

20210601_144833.jpg

Zero with motors.jpg

Edited by mtminnesota
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, mtminnesota said:

The tracking kit and a Mount Zero, just out of the box.  The motor cables and connectors are of high quality, reminding me of audiophile equipment.  Everything appears well constructed, but it is a minimalist drive kit so it looks sparse with its exposed motors and wires.  Is this mount worth the $1325 it costs with the drive kit?  Maybe, if you want something unique, compact, and hand made in Japan.  I haven't observed with it yet, but I'm expecting it to perform well and last a long time.   

20210601_144833.jpg

Zero with motors.jpg

Do you think would work with a Vixen SD103S scope, same size as a Takahashi FC-100 scope?

Is this the Alt-Z or GEM flavour?

How do you align the mount?

Thanks

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Do you think would work with a Vixen SD103S scope, same size as a Takahashi FC-100 scope?

Is this the Alt-Z or GEM flavour?

How do you align the mount?

Thanks

Mine is alt-az. 

It works very well with a FC-100, so apparently it would work with the Vixen too.  This video shows how solid the FC-100 is on it.  I would add that I've found it's more solid when the arm is vertical, making it better balanced on the tripod that when it's leaned back.  Of course you won't be able to observe close to the zenith, but the more vertical the better.  

The mount is ridiculously easy to align with SkySafari.  Connect to the mount via wifi, type in the IP address, port, etc., then point the scope at a known star, click on it in SkySafari and hit "align".  No need for Polaris or multiple stars.  I assume the mount should be pretty level as well, but it doesn't mention that in the instructions.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mtminnesota said:

Mine is alt-az. 

It works very well with a FC-100, so apparently it would work with the Vixen too.  This video shows how solid the FC-100 is on it.  I would add that I've found it's more solid when the arm is vertical, making it better balanced on the tripod that when it's leaned back.  Of course you won't be able to observe close to the zenith, but the more vertical the better.  

The mount is ridiculously easy to align with SkySafari.  Connect to the mount via wifi, type in the IP address, port, etc., then point the scope at a known star, click on it in SkySafari and hit "align".  No need for Polaris or multiple stars.  I assume the mount should be pretty level as well, but it doesn't mention that in the instructions.

Thanks, I already have the Scopetech Zero, hence the interest. I've been using more and more then my SXP2 as so much easier to get setup with. 

Interested to hear you get on with the tracking kit, hopefully will be the most flexible in portable guided mounts. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 05/06/2021 at 21:36, Deadlake said:

Asked Sergi at astrodevices if there is a digital circle encoder kit. Not the first person who has asked. 🧐

Serge suggested to me that he needed an example of the mount to work with to make an encoder kit for it.

• 7 months later...

Resurrecting this (a bit).  My az seems like it's tightened up some from when I first got the mount.  Just to make sure I don't totally muck it up, to loosen the az (and alt) tensions, you just loosen and retighten the bolts at the ends of the worms, yes?  Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone sourced spare parts for their ScopeTech mount? 

Somehow, maybe during a house move the altitude slow motion knob/shaft/worm gear has become bent.

It was bought from FLO, can they source parts?

I know due to a patent issue ScopeTech has suspended production until resolved.

• Sad 3

Just received a carbon fiber tripod to try my Zero on.  It wasn't doing as well as I had hoped with my 102ED on a Manfrotto aluminum pod. Hopefully the CF will have shorter damping times.  It's more compact for easier transport at least.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jjohnson3803 said:

Just received a carbon fiber tripod to try my Zero on.  It wasn't doing as well as I had hoped with my 102ED on a Manfrotto aluminum pod. Hopefully the CF will have shorter damping times.  It's more compact for easier transport at least.

Me too. Which did you go for?

• Like 2