Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scopetech Zero Mount

Stu

50 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

There is one on sale at @FLO right now, which actually puts it closer to £300... not trying to tempt you at all 😬

I spotted that and was sorely tempted. Trouble is it deserves better than my Horizon photo-tripod and my 2" tripod is overkill - I have nothing in between and would need to buy another tripod! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobertI said:

Bit late to the party on this one! This looks like a fine mount and really seems to fill a gap, a step up in quality from the Porta 2, and I really want one. But the price - almost £400! I'm sure its simplicity belies the engineering quality, but I do wonder whether Rowan Engineering could produce something of similar quality for a lot less money (hint, hint).

The scope tech is considerable lighter then the AZ100, that’s what you are paying for. With a carbon tripod the weight with the Zero is 5 kg. For the AZ100 and tripod is around 17 kg. Having said that, once the AZ100 has tracking motors attached I would take a look. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deadlake said:

The scope tech is considerable lighter then the AZ100, that’s what you are paying for. With a carbon tripod the weight with the Zero is 5 kg. For the AZ100 and tripod is around 17 kg. Having said that, once the AZ100 has tracking motors attached I would take a look. 

My thinking was that Rowan have the know how to produce a lightweight mount to rival the Scopetech, in addition to their heavy-duty AZ100. 👍

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RobertI said:

My thinking was that Rowan have the know how to produce a lightweight mount to rival the Scopetech, in addition their heavy-duty AZ100. 👍

True Rowan could, however they are busy with motorised tracking. Wonder what the weight would be like for a smaller version?  Curiously Zero has all the fixtures  to add push to go, which would make the zero amazing. For me I have an LZOS 130 in bound, too heavy for the zero so will have to go my SXP2, which is not far off AZ100 in weight.

3 hours ago, RobertI said:

My thinking was that Rowan have the know how to produce a lightweight mount to rival the Scopetech, in addition their heavy-duty AZ100. 👍

I still strongly feel that there is a niche for a decent quality, high capacity alt-az mount somewhere between the Skytee II / Ercole and the higher end AZ100 / APM Maxload. Something around £500 perhaps ?

I had originally hoped that the AZ100 might be that mount but, understandably, that product can't be produced at that sort price point. So the niche remains.

Edited by John
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, John said:

I still strongly feel that there is a niche for a decent quality, high capacity alt-az mount somewhere between the Skytee II / Ercole and the higher end AZ100 / APM Maxload. Something around £500 perhaps ?

I had originally hoped that the AZ100 might be that mount but, understandably, that product can't be produced at that sort price point. So the niche remains.

Single or dual? I think there is space for a single alt-az mount with tracking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

Rowan did mention that they they were considering a lighter mount than the AZ100 in a post in the AZ100 thread. Hope that does go ahead. 🤞🏻

That's very interesting John, something to look forward to, I'm sure it'll be a winner.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

Curiously Zero has all the fixtures  to add push to go, which would make the zero amazing.

I noticed that too, lots of attachment points for encoders etc... future proofing no doubt, but would be great to see “push to” on this mount 🤞

1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

Single or dual? I think there is space for a single alt-az mount with tracking.

Either. Personally I'm happy with single and I don't need tracking or GOTO or push-to. Slow motion controls are nice. I splashed out on a pre-owned T-Rex mount earlier this year so I'm sorted really but I still think there is a market for something else that is sub-1K with all the bits.

I heard from Rowan (Derek) that they have been kicking ideas around for a mid-range mount but currently, as a small company, they are having to put most of their resources into the AZ100. They are picking up quite a bit of interest from overseas judging by the conversations on another forum that I frequent :smiley:

Edited by John
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, heliumstar said:

I love this mount but when out yesterday for conjunction I felt alt getting a little stiffer.

I have noticed it very occasionally gets a little stiffer in the cold, but usually just loosening the clutch a little, moving it around a bit then re-tightening does the trick for me.

• 2 months later...

Hello

2 questions for you clever people. I've just received a new Scopetech Zero and have actually read the instructions supplied (always a first) around the warnings of balance and potential damage i could cause.

I've replaced the screw clamp with an ADM clamp. Loosed the nuts slightly as it was so stiff it just would not move in any direction. However it mentions potential damage when mounting the scope and appropriate guidance to avoid mishaps. I've added two images which show a gap similar to the instructional warning image. This is without a telescope being mounted. The gap seems to be a uniform and not out of kilter. Is this normal? Hopefully just overthinking this. But thought best to check.

No 2. I've mounted the Scopetech onto a Skywatcher 3/8 stainless steel tripod. This just uses a 3/8 screw direct to the base of the mount and the slow motion is hit and miss (perfectly fine when not mounted to the tripod) - the best i can explain is i can't quite get it to fully tighten. If i use the mount extension it's fine - however i don't trust using this.

Is there a pier or base i can buy - maybe this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Camera-Panoramic-Panning-Aluminum-Panorama-default/dp/B08JD4BGCT/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=3%2F8+panoramic+base&qid=1614187701&s=electronics&sr=1-8 or any other ideas?

Cheers

Dean

PXL_20210224_165727483.jpg

PXL_20210224_165555359.jpg

Edited by Dean Hale

44 minutes ago, Dean Hale said:

I've replaced the screw clamp with an ADM clamp. Loosed the nuts slightly as it was so stiff it just would not move in any direction. However it mentions potential damage when mounting the scope and appropriate guidance to avoid mishaps. I've added two images which show a gap similar to the instructional warning image. This is without a telescope being mounted. The gap seems to be a uniform and not out of kilter. Is this normal? Hopefully just overthinking this. But thought best to check.

No 2. I've mounted the Scopetech onto a Skywatcher 3/8 stainless steel tripod. This just uses a 3/8 screw direct to the base of the mount and the slow motion is hit and miss (perfectly fine when not mounted to the tripod) - the best i can explain is i can't quite get it to fully tighten. If i use the mount extension it's fine - however i don't trust using this.

It's best to double check with this mount, as you've done... I can confirm that the gap you're seeing is normal (as long as it's uniform, which it appears to be). See the photo of mine for comparison. Given the warning in the manual, what I do is to keep it tightened at all times... not so tight that it's being forced, but finger tight then a tiny bit more. I find this means that whenever I mount or dismount a scope, the potential for that issue they mention goes away. It also gives (for me) just about the right amount of tightness to make free movement possible as well as allowing the slow motion controls to work well too. Apart from checking it's not become loose, I rarely touch the tightness knob during usage.

What is essential is balance... for the slow controls to work properly the scope must be in balance (or as close as possible), otherwise it will travel one way (up or down) but not the other. Sometimes if it's close enough, tightening the control knob a little tiny bit more can give enough "bite" to allow it to overcome any slight imbalance.

The Azimuth isn't quite as critical, but I tend to keep that finger tight and a bit more too, as it gives the same controllability.

You do really need to have the mounting bolt in the base nice and tight, otherwise (as you've found) that when the azimuth control knob is tightened enough to give authority for the slow motion control, it could easily overcome the base friction and undo the mount. I think that's what you're describing 🤔

It's a superb mount, and more robust that the instructions indicate, but just don't let the control knobs get too loose with a scope onboard, I think is the only thing to remember, so just keep them tightened, but not overly so 👍

I'm also using an ADM clamp too, works very well, particularly when it comes to adjusting for balance quickly.

AD29683C-B797-49BF-88F6-9319567F696A.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

You do really need to have the mounting bolt in the base nice and tight, otherwise (as you've found) that when the azimuth control knob is tightened enough to give authority for the slow motion control, it could easily overcome the base friction and undo the mount. I think that's what you're describing 🤔

Thanks for this @HollyHound above is exactly what is happening. I'll have a little more time to play with this tonight and try the tips you mentioned. I'm sure it will be perfect. I've just bought the More Blue Carbon Fiber Half Pillar so may help too - i wanted this anyway for the AZ GTI, good job the pubs are still closed as spent a little too much the past few days.  As to the clamp i noticed you mentioned this in a previous post so also followed your advice. Thanks

Edited by Dean Hale
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, mtminnesota said:

A GOTO motorized tracking kit is now available. They have EQ and alt-az versions. I asked Ted to let me know how each differs in their operation, so I know which one I want, then I'm ordering a second Zero with the kit. Very cool!

https://astrohutech....for-mount-zero/

Any idea on weight support, cannot see any listed?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Wow that is expensive. 🙀  The iOptron AZ Mount Pro mount is a lot cheaper and while heavier will be a lot more capable.

How much for the AZ100 goto kit then…

4 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

How much for the AZ100 goto kit then…

The AZ100 kit should be available in a few months hopefully but they won’t have a price until they are ready to release it. Hope it’s a reasonable price. 🤞🏻

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1