Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Whats wrong with my Lynx astro cable?

blinky

Totally confused and looking for suggestions.... Im now on my 2nd Lynx astro cable for my EQ6, I keep getting timeout errors with it on EQMod 😞 Im not using a hub, my camera, guider, filter and focuser are all connected via a little hub then connected to my laptop's USB3 port.  The Lynx astro cable is connected directly from the mount to a USB 2 port on the laptop.  I first noticed the problem when guidig, it seemed terrible with the new cable in and swapping to an ancient Shoesting asto cable all was good.   I then saw in the EQMod window that I was getting Comm errors with the Lynx cable but with the old cable its all good.  I connect the old cable in the same way, direct to a USB 2 port - I'm out of ideas!  Laptop is running the latest version of EQMod, Acom and Windows 10.  The driver for the Lynx cable is the most up to date I can find and its on Com 3, any ideas?  

:MSD=128
CommErr:MSR=128
CommErr:MSD=128
CommErr:MSR=128
RA Motor set at Lunar rate
CommErr:MSR=144

image.png.018535f8570cb7823726dfb12b5f02e4.png

image.png.507a121ece271b9b6b7b2616ef9f1a07.png

Clutching at straws, but try unplugging your Lynx Astro cable from the PC and in Device Manager select 'View/Show Hidden Devices' and expand the Ports section. There will probably be some greyed out entries corresponding to allocations from previous devices that were plugged in, including the Lynx Astro Cable. Right mouse select the greyed out entries one by one and select 'Uninstall Device' and they should disappear. Then plug the Lynx Astro cable back in. It should re-install itself and still be allocated to COM3.

When devices are unplugged the COM ports they used should be cleanly de-allocated, but that isn't always the case which is a reason the number of 'hidden devices' can grow and you get 'COM port in use or unavailable' messages even when they should be free. Perhaps a previous device on COM3 didn't clean itself up properly.

Alan

Edited by symmetal

Baud rates the same, 9600, tried lowering and increasing it in the port settings and changing eqmod to match but the only one it connects at is 9600.  Also done the remove old devices, by running device manager with show_nonpresent_devices and removing everything that’s not used, the only ports I have are com3 for the cable, com13 for the old one and com 5&6 as Bluetooth to serial ports. Power management of the port is not ticked either, think I’m just going to need to send it back and stick with the old cable, but why? And I’m worried if the old cable breaks what do it do?  It’s so strange! At least I can get the issue in daytime while slewing, so don’t need to wait to be out under the stars to diagnose the issue but I’m basically all out of ideas..... I don’t think Lynx Astro exist, I think it’s just the name FLO put on their brand of cables, so can’t even contact the manufacturer and see if they can suggest anything.

6 hours ago, blinky said:

I don’t think Lynx Astro exist, I think it’s just the name FLO put on their brand of cables, so can’t even contact the manufacturer and see if they can suggest anything.

If its FLO brand then you can contact them for support!

But power to the mount can cause problems as to send data ,even digitally, you need a voltage reference point. So are your Laptop and mount power supplies good (i guess you be just using battery power on the Laptop). A bad power supply problem will cause issues with communications.

Plus when nothing else but the mount is connected to your Laptop/EQMOD does the the issue go away. Bearing in mind I guess there are many using the FLO Lynx cable without problems its must be your mount, the cable or your laptop.

Is there anyone near who you can ask to try their kit (laptop/EQmod cable) with your kit - this is prbably the fastest way to find a problem with variables.

I am pretty much 100% confident it’s not the lead, I now have 2 from different batches with the same issue so it must be laptop, power, mount related but which one......  both laptop and mount and on mains supplies.  I have also replaced the plug on the EQ6 with a screw in type so know that is secure and the red light does not flash on the mount either.  
im. It sure about trying another laptop but I suppose it rules the laptop in/out so should really do that!  I wonder..... just thinking out loud here..... the new socket for the supply, will mean that the body of the mount is connected to the negative terminal of the supply plug, since the plug is all metal and is bolted to the mount case. The cable has a metal D type socket and I wonder if there is some sort of noise or something, maybe the lynx cables have the metal body connected to gnd and it’s causing a loop and the old shoestring cable that was hand soldered, maybe the metal body of that D type is not connected to gnd? Just a thought, will see what I can do tonight....

• 2 months later...

Shame I sent the cables back, was looking at the PoleStar manual/FAQ as Im thinking of getting one, it seems there is a setting for USB power in the windows power settings, USB Selective Suspend.  I wonder if this was possibly the cause of the issues I had with the Lynx astro cable?

1 hour ago, blinky said:

Shame I sent the cables back, was looking at the PoleStar manual/FAQ as Im thinking of getting one, it seems there is a setting for USB power in the windows power settings, USB Selective Suspend.  I wonder if this was possibly the cause of the issues I had with the Lynx astro cable?

Without doubt that wouldn't help and it has been stated before many times by DR_JU_JU - quite rightly of course.