Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eq5 and cg5 mount

Rogr18

Hi, 

Sorry if this has already been asked ( I think it would have been, there are posts similar but can't see the the answer I'm looking for) 

I have a celestron C8-N scope that came with a Cg5 mount,  it's at least 10 years old and although it had a lot of use to start with it's been gathering dust the last few years. 

So I would like to fit a motorised goto mount to it and was considering a synscan  pro3 for an Eq5 mount. 

Can someone tell me are these 2 mounts the same and if so will the synscan be OK for my Cg5 mount. 

If not are there any others I should look at? 

Thanks

Depending how handy you are, have a look at the Onstep Goto.

The only negative is you have to build it yourself. Mainly soldering.

I got a kit of all the components and got the rest from eBay. All in its cost me about £100.

A lot cheaper than a manufacturer's Goto, and the big plus is it's transferable to different mounts. I had it on my eq3-2 originally but now it's on my eq5. Works brilliantly.

Just another option. 🙂

14 hours ago, Rogr18 said:

Hi, 

Sorry if this has already been asked ( I think it would have been, there are posts similar but can't see the the answer I'm looking for) 

I have a celestron C8-N scope that came with a Cg5 mount,  it's at least 10 years old and although it had a lot of use to start with it's been gathering dust the last few years. 

So I would like to fit a motorised goto mount to it and was considering a synscan  pro3 for an Eq5 mount. 

Can someone tell me are these 2 mounts the same and if so will the synscan be OK for my Cg5 mount. 

If not are there any others I should look at? 

Thanks

Roger 

First of all welcome from Land Down Under

I have a ED80 on a EQ5pro mount, which have had now for close on 10 years, and been a very loyal servant

You can now also get a WiFi adapter for Skywatcher Go-To mounts

Have attached copy of my ED80 on the EQ5pro mount, taken a club solar viewing night last year, and WiFi adapter and screen print of the  SynScan App

The scope in the background with camera fitted, is also an ED80 on a HEQ5 mount

John

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

SynScan WiFi adapter.jpeg

Screen print SynScan App.jpg

Edited by cletrac1922

Hi John, thanks for getting in touch.

Your setup looks impressive. I've never used a goto mount (just manual) so looking forward to trying it. 

The app also is a good idea, I guess with that you don't need to use the handset anymore. 

Like I said my mount is a Celestron Cg5 which I'm told is the same as a Eq5. So if I can get a goto upgrade for it it will be a lot cheaper than buying a new tripod/mount

I have read though that a goto on a Eq5 with a 8" scope might not give as smooth a tracking as a lighter scope, but I guess a lighter scope could be a future investment if it turns out to be the case

Roger