SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Basic Imaging Help

I have been enjoying using prime focus with a 127Mak ~ T ring ~ Nikon D70 combination.

I only take photo's of the Moon and taken in RAW I'm quite pleased with the results. The Moon fills the frame nicely with good sharpness, contrast and detail.

I also take some Afocal shots with a Canon S30 camera.

These shots are OKish but I would like to improve on them. I do struggle getting a sharp image.

So I have been thinking what would be the next step to achieve sharper images.

A webcam and laptop would be too much money for me at the moment.

So would the following work ?

1. Remove the diagonal and fit a barlow then my D70 via a 1.25" nose piece attatched to the T ring.

2. Remove the diagonal and fit a tele extender with an suitable eyepiece then attatch the D70.

Or is there a better way of going about it.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

I used a D70 before I upgraded.

If you use a Barlow lens, the field of view is very small and, unless you are imaging the Moon or bright planets, the image is very dim and requires a longer exposure and increased frustration.

Focus is always touch and go with a DSLR unless you have live view, but the time spent focusing reaps dividends in improving subsequent images.

Also try taking a number of the same images and stacking them, (even Moon shots) this will reduce noise and give a much cleaner image.

Thanks for the replies

It seems that if I choose option 1 or 2 it's not going to be much better than hand holding my Canon S30 against the eye piece.

I will have a go at stacking a series of images as I have never tried that before but I am looking to increase magnification and get some sharper images.

Paul

i find the best way to focus is to move the camera in and out of focus and look for the point that is middle way between too far out and too far in. i usually pick the point at which i can see the first diffraction ring, as the point at which the camera is out of focus. then without removing my hand from the focusser i slowwing turn it through focus till the first diffraction ring comes back again, or the star is the same size as was before i started turning.

although i have a laptop to help me focus i find this method (once you have some practice with it) to be very accurate and quite often i struggle to improve on it

Good Luck

ally

So would the following work ?

1. Remove the diagonal and fit a barlow then my D70 via a 1.25" nose piece attatched to the T ring.

2. Remove the diagonal and fit a tele extender with an suitable eyepiece then attatch the D70.

Or is there a better way of going about it.

Cheers

Paul

Can anybody else help that has used a Mak ?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paull,

Make yourself one of these....

http://www.btinternet.com/~psmithuk/Focus_Masks/127MAK/PS_127MAK_FO.pdf

And see what a difference it makes to focusing.... need to focus on a star rather than the moon but that shouldnt make too much diifference...

If you have got a cloudy night to spare read through this thread... or jump to the end to see what the do...

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,30884.0.html

Billy...

You could try using the D70 without the diagonal if it will focus. Try to spend as long as you can on focusing as thats the hard bit (for me, anyway).

I would not try using a Barlow lens as that will make things worse as it will magnify any errors in tracking as well as errors in everything else.

Stacking is the way to go, so get lots of snaps and put them through Registax. This will average out all the images and leave a much noise reduced image which will clean up nicely.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Thanks Billy

I've printed off the mask at work and i will make one out of sheet plastic first and give it go. I must admit when I'm trying to focus, it gets to a point where it gets a little vague and I never know where the sweet spot is. The mask should solve this problem.

Thanks KK

I think i will give up on the Afocal through more glass and give stacking a go.

Cheers

Paul

Archived