Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

The July edition of the Binocular Sky Newsletter is ready. Astronomical darkness returns to the southern part of the UK this month, and we have:

* Yet another "promising" comet
* Asteroid Ceres
* Neptune and Uranus return

I hope this helps you to fill your evenings (actually, more likely pre-dawn mornings!) enjoyably.

To pick up your free copy, just head over to http://binocularsky.com and click on the Newsletter tab, where you can subscribe (also free, of course) to have it emailed each month, and get archived copies.

Comet2020F3202007.thumb.jpg.7fc51d9e30eb4bc4435e11b1f7ad4af8.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick heads up Steve - I think in your editing of the newsletter you've left in the note about the Venus lunar occultation from last month

Cheers

Kerry 

Posted (edited)
On 01/07/2020 at 15:07, kerrylewis said:

I think in your editing of the newsletter you've left in the note about the Venus lunar occultation from last month

Drat! I did. Thanks for letting me know; I'll correct it.

Edit: Now corrected.

Edited by BinocularSky

A hopefull comet, I'll enjoy the read, thanks

• Like 1

A bit late, but thanks for the August edition. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stargazer33
      Images taken between 04:02 & 04:15 this morning. 
      C9.25; CGEM; ASI385MC; ZWO ADC; ES 3x Telextender; Baader neodymium filter.

AutoStakkert!3; RegiStax6; PS CS4 Extended.
      Socially distanced comments/suggestions welcomed as always.
    • By terranien
      Hello everyone,
      I took those pictures of C/2020 F3 in July from holiday in France(in the darkest area of sky) with my nikon d5300, nikkor 40mm opened at f/4), exposure 5 minutes or 10 minutes(stacking of pictures) at 1600 iso on my star adventurer.
      The comet was eyes visible at this time in the evening between the 17th of July and the 19th of July.
      If you have some advices, don't hesitate to give.
      Arnaud

• By BinocularSky
      The September edition of the Binocular Sky Newsletter is ready. Astronomical darkness returns to the southern part of the UK this month, and we have:
      * Uranus and Neptune
      * A dwarf planet
      * Mira near maximum
      * A grazing occultation within reach of much of England and a bit of south Wales
      I hope this helps you to enjoyably fill these lengthening evenings.
      To pick up your free copy, just head over to http://binocularsky.com and click on the Newsletter tab, where you can subscribe (also free, of course) to have it emailed each month, and get archived copies.

• By Gazer 1996
      Barely used, no damage.
      £40 or nearest offer
      Contact me for anymore information!

• By Bajastro
      Today after the midnight I recorded the spectrum of C/2020 F3 (Neowise). I couldn't change new diffraction grating  (300 l/mm) before the midnight in my Low Spec 2 spectrograph. I have printed second unmodified mounting for grating and I had to use it, because dispersion angles are different than the 1800 l/mm diffraction grating. It was also necessary to assemble and run the setup. Not all lines were identified, the spectrum is different than spectra published on the internet. The violet range is worse due to the poor correction of chromatic aberration in achromatic lenses in my Low Spec and my APO, so lines are weaker. Intensity hasn't been corrected. I think that this comet was too low above the horizon to do it well. This is also the first light with a diffraction grating 300 l/mm used in the Low Spec 2.
      Slit position, PHD2 screen:

Spectrum with stretched histogram, faint LP of my city is present in the background, 5x60s stack:

I hope that I correctly substracted LP from the comet spectrum.
      The result obtained in the BASS software:

We have carbon C2 bands, CN and strong emission of sodium doublet. Some lines are unidentified yet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.