SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SkyTee 2 grease replacement

bomberbaz

Just make sure you use the proper type of grease. White Lithium and Graphite grease attract dirt and become gummy and are not recoomended. You need a “heavy load” grease without any particulates in it. Also once you replace the heavy stuff in the mount with something thinner it will need regreaseing on a regular basis..

Areoshel 33 Airframe Grease is what Rowan recommends for their AZ100 mount. Very expensive but very good.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

I'd remove that with some WD40 or similar thin degreaser, then wipe the surfaces down with meths (or similar), then regrease with some ordinary grease.  You should find that makes a lot of difference!

Cheers @merlin100Those pictures were taken a couple of years ago when I first stripped it down. I removed old grease using brake part cleaner spray and re-lubed using universal wheel bearing grease from my local motor factors. 

6 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Just make sure you use the proper type of grease. Lithium and Graphite grease attract dirt and become gummy and are not recoomended. You need a “heavy load” grease without any particulates in it. Also once you replace the heavy stuff in the mount with something thinner it will need regreaseing on a regular basis..

Areoshel 33 Airframe Grease is what Rowan recommends for their AZ100 mount. Very exxoensive but very good.

I’m very familiar with Grease 33 it’s in widespread use on Aircraft flying controls, doors and undercarriage systems so good choice for the AZ100. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HollyHound said:

I have that very same pillar (supplied with a number of the SW mounts, mine came with an Avant) and it’s worth noting that it’s thread (top and bottom) is 3/8” rather than M10.

Isn’t the SkyTree an M10 thread ? If so that could make a difference in connection solidity, and might cause that spinning.

I’m also a bit dubious about the solidity of that pillars top mounting plate, as it’s only held on with three small screws, fine for AZ GTI, AZ5, Avant etc, but SkyTee is a heavy mount with fairly high capacity!

I have ordered and am waiting receipt of three stainless steel thumb screws with a 20mm head instead of the ones the pillar came with, they only have about a 10mm head and are really hard to grip, I think this will help make the grip more substantial.

I think as with many bits that are screwed and/or bolted together, you need to make sure each individual bit is thoroughly tightened and secured before moving onto the next part. With my skytee and mount as it currently is there are 8 individual parts to be tightened, including the three on the pillar shaft and the saddle clamps. Obviously if you fail to tighten one you may end up having to pull it all apart and start again just as you thought you were ready to go. that's a PITA you can do without.

I will se how I get on when I get around to giving it a full field test. An upgraded pillar is something I could do without but would if needs be.

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Just make sure you use the proper type of grease. White Lithium and Graphite grease attract dirt and become gummy and are not recoomended. You need a “heavy load” grease without any particulates in it. Also once you replace the heavy stuff in the mount with something thinner it will need regreaseing on a regular basis..

Areoshel 33 Airframe Grease is what Rowan recommends for their AZ100 mount. Very expensive but very good.

Hmm wish I had known this before regreasing with a white lithium type grease. I shall run with it for now but at the first hint of stiffening up I shall get some of theAeroshell and strip & regrease again 

11 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Steel thumbscrews, well I never. 😁

DD1ED01F-B009-439B-BFC8-23179E63C852.jpeg

Hahaha, snap there matey, GMTA. 

Honestly though for the sake of a few pence why don't they just make them of decent quality from the off. Surely the kudos they would get for doing so would be worthwhile in the long run.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Replacing stock thumbscrews with proper ones has become a regular thing with me. 🙂

It must save them.....oh .....pence fitting cheap ones.🙄

If you look at my picture of old black one next to the new ones. The black ones already appear to be showing signed of wear and as we both agree, for the cost of a few bob (< showing my age). Sign of the times.

Steve

• 6 months later...

Hello all...

May I resurrect this topic, please?

I have a rather ageing Skytee2 that I'm planning to service and re-grease, and to serve as a mount for my SW 120ED.

I've ordered some Aeroshell 33, and had a preliminary look at it - it functions reasonably, but with some backlash on both axes and some stiffness. The original gloopy grease is there in abundance.

I find that the pair of M4 threaded holes in both worm carriers are virtually stripped, so my plan is to either use a heli-coil insert or re-thread to M5 screw size. The central M4 screw holds ok in the mount body, but a slightly longer screw would be better. Has anyone had experience of this, and maybe point me the right way?  The heli-coil option would be tricky, so I'm thinking the M5 screw would be the better option.

Question 2..... I can see that adjustment of the worm gear end-float is straightforward, but adjustment of the gear meshing looks tricky - is it a question of tweaking those two tiny grub screws, and trial and error?

I'm in at the deep end, and would appreciate any pearls of wisdom, and a lifebuoy.

Thanks,  Dave 

• Like 1