Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Viewing with bresser mikrokular full HD webcam

Hi 

I have an astromaster 130eq and I'm after advice of viewing with my bresser mikrokular webcam.  This may seem silly but if I say want to view the moon or Jupiter or Saturn,to get the focus right would the webcam need to be further out of the 1.25 eyepiece hole or further in to gain focus as it's all very blurry and can only focus on close things like trees or a nearby roof.  I'm probably not explain myself properly.its been cloudy skies here for over a week so can't get to practice with it.

With most cameras you need to place it further in than with the typical eyepiece. (as much as half an inch closer) With some telescopes this may not be possible without modifications.  A Barlow lens may allow you to get focus in this case.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

With most cameras you need to place it further in than with the typical eyepiece. (as much as half an inch closer) With some telescopes this may not be possible without modifications.  A Barlow lens may allow you to get focus in this case.

Ahh I see I thought it was the other way around being further out, I'll try my barlow lens then the webcam in that next time to see if that solves it, thank you 

I still cannot achieve good focus by putting the webcam in as far as possible so the thumb screws tighten on it and using my barlow lens, the scope is collimated, so don't know what I'm doing wrong, as when I look through an ep I see the image fine. 

Hi there, 

I have used this little camera and once you get it set up, it's not bad at capturing the moon etc. Just a quick question - when you have aligned you scope and looked at the object through your eyepiece.

Then your removing the eyepiece,  putting the camera in and then refocusing the telescope so the camera is now in focus. Is this correct?. 

Edited by StargazingAde
making my reply better in the way it's put.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, StargazingAde said:

Hi there, 

I have used this little camera and once you get it set up, it's not bad at capturing the moon etc. Just a quick question - when you have aligned you scope and looked at the object through your eyepiece.

Then your removing the eyepiece,  putting the camera in and then refocusing the telescope so the camera is now in focus. Is this correct?. 

I have an image from my webcam now, I was using it on my windows tablet and was seeming over exposed due to being in the day light, so I've switched to my laptop and altered the exposure and now have an image of fields around 10 miles away and the focus tube is only a little way out, its a bit blurred but it's there(could be to do with the heat haze and that it's low on the horizon) I have the webcam in an old barlow lens holder without the lens in it and pulls the camera out far enough, so when there are less cloudy skies I will try it in the moon and see how it fairs. Maybe the image will be sharper once its dark and able to get infinity. There is only a little window between going in and out of focus but I've read that could be to do with the webcam as they are like looking through a high power ep