Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Betelgeuse: Nearby 'supernova' star's dimming explained

johninderby

Just now, Alien 13 said:

I am in two minds regarding Betelgeuse, would be great to see it go bang but it would ruin a majestic constellation..

Alanย 

I agree, Alan, but the desire to witness aย once in a generation (or more) event just seems too hard to resist for me.

• Like 1

We've had bright novae/supernovae, but I don't think in recorded history we've had a naked-eye star go nova / supernova? The documented historical ones such as M1, Tycho's Star etc were all faint precursors. Anyone think of any?I was confused when the fuss was made about the dimming of Betelgeuse as it's a known semi-regular variable - I'm sure it's had big drops in magnitude in the past.ย 

On 29/06/2020 at 18:50, Alien 13 said:

I am in two minds regarding Betelgeuse, would be great to see it go bang but it would ruin a majestic constellation..

Alanย 

Think what it would leave behind though! The shredded remains would be a fantastic target and would be an unmissable opportunity for even amateurs to do genuine science.

6 minutes ago, badgerchap said:

Think what it would leave behind though! The shredded remains would be a fantastic target and would be an unmissable opportunity for even amateurs to do genuine science.

Not to mention the night time suntanย :)

Alan

Sunspots is exactly what I thought the dimming could be, though I wouldn't have gone for one huge one like that, more likely a large cluster.ย  All stars no doubt have minimums and maximums like our own, so why not have a random and maybe rare sudden mass grouping of sunspots?

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, callisto said:

Just out of interest, how much more detail would theย James Webb telescope see?

The angular resolution of the James Webb Telescope at a wavelength of 2 micrometers is around 0.1" (source).ย  The angular diameter of Beteulgeuse is about 0.05" (source). So the JWT will not be able to resolve detail on the disk of Betelgeuse.

Edited by Waddensky