I Thought the GP's pulse motor had failed me but...

Fozzie

Hi all..

During my last observing session, i had to swap out mounts, as the RA tracking on the GP was misbehaving, I could hear the motor ticking along but with the 5kg or so frac and accessories it was failing to move.. I worked the problem, is it balance, too much weight etc... but i came to the conclusion the 20 something year old motor is probably just giving up after years of diligent service!  Sad times..

So this weekend i decided to clean it up, and order an EQ5 goto system to install.. something i've been reluctant to do as i like my vintage green mount, and don't want to spoil its look with non matching plastic components (even though i wouldn't actually mind goto... i know right)

As i removed the the RA housing and ran the motors at 32x and free hand, even with no load, the gears binded, and i was crest fallen, almost like it was out of line...  i removed the motor, and checked, looked like new, this mount has been really well looked after by its previous custodians!

So resigned to the upgrade i started to put the pieces back together, when at the last breath i noticed the motor cog wheel had slip of the flat part of the motor shaft, the little grub screw had worked loose and it was causing the issue! 

Huuuuurrrrrrraaaahhhh!

A quick realignment and tighten the grub, and we are back in business.. So close to a needles spend (in some ways, i'd still fancy goto!)

I have form for this, i once replaced a TV because it didn't work when i lived by myself, only to find out my partner had unplugged it and not plugged it back in.. In my defense i had no reason to suspect she'd messed with plugs.. and it was an old unit.. but still!

Has anyone else done something similar, jumped for an expensive replacement, for the sake of a quick cheap fix, by mistake obviosuly!

Anyway the GP's fine, that's all that matters!

Ta

Fozzie

• Like 2