Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Are we doomed?

17 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

The funny thing is that, if sgl still exists at the moment of impact, some people are probably chatting about the odds of an impact and then 💥 

Hopefully I'll be imaging it as it gets bigger and bigger 🤣

Dave

I'm not worried,

because it seems to me that lately it is the comets that are suffering the extinctions, NEOWISE is probably doing that right now :(

They dont makem like they used to, or perhaps after 25million years, plus a bit, they are all getting feak and weeble ?

29 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I was long overdue for a good extinction  level movie to cheer me up. This movie is about the big one colliding with earth.

Am I correct in me belief that this movie's release date keeps getting pushed back? For what reason I don't know.

What would it be like? An impact by something that could destroy an area like europe for example.  Always wondered how the mooncraters got their flat inside area.   Is it filled slowely during the time after an impact or is the immediate result a refilled big crater.  Or do we get an extended atlantic ocean, new record high mountains etc.  Or are we indeed globally doomed when something that big visits us at one side of the earth

Edited by Robindonne

4 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

If a complete extinction body is to hit us in my lifetime I want to know the when and where so that I can go and watch its incoming.     🙂

Could be the SGL astro photo challenge - winner to be announced in the following  month :) 

Jim 

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Dave Lloyd said:

Read Lucifers Hammer by Larry Niven

And Jerry Pournelle, if I recall correctly.

Nice reminder though.  I've not read it for many years.  I'll have to dig it out from the bookshelves.

James

5 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

If a complete extinction body is to hit us in my lifetime I want to know the when and where so that I can go and watch its incoming.     🙂

I'll join you Peter.  We could have a star party up there at The Astronomy Centre          🙂 💥

38 minutes ago, John said:

Interesting report thanks,

only one niggle, it was in the Guardian ! and they are stalking me ! Seems I have visited them 31 times in the past 9 months, time to clean up my cookies I think.

Edited by Corncrake

On 28/06/2020 at 20:13, johninderby said:

Having dug it out from the bookshelves over the weekend I read it over Monday and Tuesday evenings.  I don't think it's really dated at all.  In fact given that it was written in the mid-70s if I recall correctly, some of the themes such as racism are probably just as relevant today as they were back then.  The ISS would also double rather nicely for "Hammerlab".  The weakest part is probably the subplot relating to the nuclear power station.  I wonder if that part might actually have been much more detailed in a draft and either the editor or publisher decided that the book was long enough already and something had to go.

Still an enjoyable read, I'd say.

I might go back and read "Ringworld" again now, though I've read that so many times.  And then perhaps "The Mote in God's Eye".

James

There is a new Hollywood movie called Greenland. This is based on a comet hitting the Earth. Release date keeps getting pushed back.

Watch "Greenland Trailer #1 (2020) | Movieclips Trailers" on YouTube https://youtu.be/1AyxdYP1SNc

Edited by Guest
Trailer link added.

There was a feature-length documentary about the discovery of a large meteor on a collision course with the Earth made in the 1970s, think it had Sean Connery in a leading role, very interesting.  Now what was it called....  something like "Meteor" :D

Point is, we've been here before many times.  I just feat that mist and rain might hamper that chap's early warning efforts, anywhere in the West of Britain is surely not the ideal place for an observatory.