Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meteor Echoes - Audio and Image

I managed to combine a slider on the static image of the last L-shaped meteor echo received from my station together with the actual echo sound recording. It was a step I wanted to do for some time.

Now you can 'hear' and 'see' it both at the same time, and even if I'm not listening every minute, I can recreate the event.

I have also put my SpectrumLab screen on live streaming on youtube, you can find it here: hebweather.net/meteor-echoes/

Again, thanks to everyone here on the forum who helped me in reaching this point!
Edited by Stormchaser
  • Like 1

It is nice to see the streaming data.  I think I saw dim moon scatter at 1075 Hz.  Where is 143.050 (zero Doppler for your RTL?  Oh I can see on your clip it is at around 1065Hz.

Your background noise looks quite steady with no nasty sproggies.

• Like 1

Thank you! I wanted to go for the stream since almost the start, and now it is happening!
Waiting for the Perseids later in the month... and then in August.

Yes, as you surmised, my zero (GRAVES) Doppler is on 1060/1065 Hz on SpectrumLab. Maybe I should add a marker of some kind to make it more clear, thanks for the suggestion.

Had to jostle a bit with the positioning of the antenna cable indoor, since sometimes it still picks up noise from my home pc...

Edited by Stormchaser

Do you have a balun on the antenna down lead?  This can significantly reduce cable pick up.  I use commerically available ferrite baluns from the  company that supplied the antennas.  I have found monitor screens are still picked up by antennas.

Yes, I bought some of those afterwards, but while they did something good, the interference from my main pc sometimes still appears.

Well, as of now nothing that I can do about it, since I cannot locate the hardware in a different place.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Storm Chaser

You've been running for a while now and I am wondering what kind of hourly count rates you've been getting in Stornaway?  

Edited by Geminids

They look like good data. According to IMO information there are two showers that are at a maximum on 29 th July - Southern Delta Aquariids and Alpha Capricornids.  (these have negative declinations - does that mean they are below the horizon and we don't see them?) They have Zenith Hourly Rates of 25 and 5 respectively .  There is also the Perseids which were starting to become active on July 17th and going through to 12 August with ZHR of 100.

Those results suprise me (nicely) for such Northerly monitoring; your background noise and interfence are probably good in such a remote(? 🙂 ) place.  Do you have a good line of sight over the sea?

• Like 1

Yes, I think I got those two peaks at the end of July, as the completed monthly data shows:

image.thumb.png.a60553c3d8292b917f7e25c557d15254.png

Regarding the negative declination, non necessarily, since the declination and the right ascension are not tilted in the same way of azimuth and elevation. The RA and Dec grid is aligned with the celestial equator (which is the projection of our equator into space) with the North Celestial Pole being near the Polaris in UMi.

The azimuth and elevation grid instead is purely local, so it is possible to see negative declinations from here: the star Spica, half of Orion constellation and the whole Aquarius are in negative declinations, to give some examples.

The background values have risen, with peaks around 20/30 meteors per hour, which is similar to what happened last year in the first days of August. Sign that we are already inside the Perseid stream. Curious to this year's maximum!

Honestly, they surprise me too. In the first place I didn't imagine that I would be able to receive the GRAVES signal from up here, since the volume of sky that we share is definitely low on the horizon. But yes, having an unobstructed view towards the South definitely helps a lot. My antenna points almost towards the ground, more or less.

hi.i wonder if you can help me.i am running spec lab v2.95 b2 with metscat comprehensive v7, i have attached 2 screen shots.i think the snr is to low,it varies between 10 and 12 as you can see from screen shots,nothing.how do i change the snr levels.

thanks ken1968962403_2020-08-05(1).thumb.png.7758ab7a9206ef7a0407d77524fd762f.png

2020-08-05.png

Hallo Ken,

I am not familiar with your particular set up for Spectrum Lab.  However, it does look as if the settings for the spectrogram display are set too low.  The conditional action script seems to be capturing something.  I do not know what the dispaly on the spectrum display graphs at the top indicate.  Perhaps red for noise and green for signal?  But I cannot see the levels.  I would normally adjust the amplitude range (the numbers below the colo(u)r palette on yours they are set to about  -110 to -60dB) of the lower limit so that the noise level is just occassionally poking into the spectrum graph and then set the upper limit to 40 dB above that.  Then it is a matter of adjusting the colour sliders up and down.  A good indication is when you get a purple-blue background and red-blue noise spots - meteors will be orange to yellow to white. 

I hope this helps.

Mike 

Hello @jarralad58, Ken,

Could you expand the conditional actions windows as much as possible and take another screenshot? I am using a similar setup to the MetScat v7, but I never saw that particular line becoming red.

Or, if you can, could you attach the associated text file for the same setup? So we can check it better.

hello lads.

i am attaching a screenshot. I generated a test signal and this is what i got.i was hoping to get up and running for tomorrow night.

just to warn you,i am not the best with computers,lol.silver years here.

i would even try another conditional action set up,if any one has one to try.

ken

spec lab (3).png