Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 130SLT alignment

I recently purchased a Celestron 130slt. When aligning, the instruction manual says "center object in finderscope and press ENTER" , then "center object in eyepiece and press ENTER". My question is "what method do you use to center the object in the eyepiece, as the arrow buttons cease to function after ENTER is pressed after centering the object in the finderscope??".

There are two stages of alignment, centering in the finderscope (or maybe the eyepiece), terminated by pressing ENTER, which automatically changes the slew speed to a slow speed (no, the arrow buttons do not stop working, but it may look like it in the finderscope), and the fine align in the eyepiece, terminated by pressing ALIGN.

That's what happens with my Nexstar handsets.

I was able to center in the eyepiece tonight as you described. The fact that the slewing rate had slowed down to a crawl, and also the fact that the  the scope does not make any sound at all at this speed, made me think that the directional buttons were not operating. Would have been nice if the instruction manual that came with the telescope had mentioned this! Thanks again for the assistance.

• 2 months later...

I have a question regarding this topic. When I align the telescope, it seems like if I look into the eyepiece from an angle, I will misalign it. Do I have to be looking perpendicular into the eyepiece to align? It would help if there was some type of cross-hair that I could center with a out of focus star.