SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Making a Deep Sky Mosaic

Hi.

I have thought for a while i would to try one of these,but i,m not familar with the procedure of how to overlap the images.

Do you just position the scope hoping you have got things covered,or is there a programme out there,where you can input your FOV over the target ,and then manipulate to get what you need.

Any advice welcome.

Mick.

A number of the imaging integration packages like APT, NINA and SGP will create a mosaic sequence but you can do this manually, you just need to check you have around a 10% overlap with the previous frame. 
In my experience, the manual approach is OK for a two or three panel project, but it’s a lot easier to let the software create a sequence for a 6+ panel mosaic, especially as you will most likely need to complete this over a number of sessions.

I purchased SGP on the back of it’s mosaic capabilities, and have not been disappointed.

Nina has this function so say you wanted to do a 6 pane mosaic you could do a imaging plan and do all 6 panes in one night or 1 pane with all channels per night, whatever you wanted, it's so flexible 

Edited by newbie alert
Added info

13 hours ago, tomato said:

A number of the imaging integration packages like APT, NINA and SGP will create a mosaic sequence but you can do this manually, you just need to check you have around a 10% overlap with the previous frame. 
In my experience, the manual approach is OK for a two or three panel project, but it’s a lot easier to let the software create a sequence for a 6+ panel mosaic, especially as you will most likely need to complete this over a number of sessions.

I purchased SGP on the back of it’s mosaic capabilities, and have not been disappointed.

This is my experience, for 2 panels manual is fine, but using software is easier and reliable for anything larger.  I use SGP for mosaics and it works well.

We did the 35 panel Orion manually.

You can use a planetarium which can show the framing you get from a single sub and map out your frames on that, noting the central co-ordinates of each one to use as your 'Go To point for that panel. The Mk 1 Mesu is not ASCOM compatible so using software wasn't an option. It's perfectly possible that way, though getting it automated via software and plate solving would no doubt be easier. One system not mentioned so far is EQ Mosaic with EQ Mod for those who use it.

Tom introduced a handy numbering system using the term Row for right-left and Column for up-down, so a panel might be R2 C6, for example. It's very logical and keeps your mind in working order!!

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 1

I have yet to try the SGP mosaic to its fullest. Despite currently running two mosaics. I am still doing them manually. In a manner as Olly explained above. Old habits die hard, but I should get SGP mosaic up and running as you can spend a lot of time

working on pane centering and figuring out how much overlap. Mind you the Plate in SGP is great, and being able to "centre" the frame by right clicking is great, and easy to use.

I have the other advantage of a full frame camera, so I have plenty of room for overlap. If you have a small chip, the mosaic program would help you manage the amount of area lost better than manually doing it.

Tom.

• Like 1