Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hotech Hyperstar Laser Collimator

noah4x4

I bought this kit thinking it would collimate both my Hyperstar and 8" Evolution SCT. However, you need an extra part for the latter. You require either a 2" visual back so you can use the supplied 2" reflector mirror, or buy a 1.25" reflective mirror to fit the Evolutions standard 1.25" visual back. I chose adding the 2" visual back, a route that works out cheaper than seeking the standard Hotech ACT laser collimator plus Hyperstar upgrade.

Step one, the co-alignment of collimator target and OTA is very challenging. It took me an hour to master that. The movements required are not intuitive. Forget doing this on carpet orcwooden floor. You need firm concrete to prevent shake. But eventually I got the knack. You then get thrown by video guidance that shows an adjustable focuser that is more likely to be seen on a refractor. Instead, with a fixed rear cell and vusual back you need to further adjust co-alignment to get both laser crosses where they are supposed to be (on each other). The provided instructions are not great, and this step can be very frustrating, but eventually doable.

Once co-aligned, I found the final adjustment using Bob's Knobs impossible and too imprecise. So I started again with my Phillips screws restored. It's far easier applying a 1/24th turn and getting the three screws tight enough with the regular screws. My fat fingers and Bob's Knobs didn't coordinate as they should, and as this is a daylight tool, a screwdriver is safe. 

Ultimately I got a great collimation result. But the only reason I purchased this kit was because I couldn't get my scope professionally serviced (£180) due to Coronavirus lockdown. Will I use it again? Yes. Would I recommend it to others. NO, unless you have great eyesight, infinite patience and a steady hand.  It will appeal to the DIY enthusiast that takes delight in stripping telescopes bare, but for the average garden astronomer the learning curve is steep. 

• Thanks 1