Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Exploring Freq > 500MHz (RSP1A + Nooelec + Sirio Discone)

After the recent interruption to my progress towards (potential?!) Radio Astronomy... 😛
I resumed exploration of Freq > 500MHz... with RSP1A + Nooelec LNA + Sirio Discone!

Experiment.JPG.44d1d6839d1f4390f431e9457582ed79.JPG

With no "Ladder Guy", I poked my new Sirio SD3000N out of the landing window... 🥳
(Also it's a fair bit easier to try out a *general* purpose tests with NooElec LNA etc!)
But ultimately destined to join X30N (upper right) which I use for 2m/70cm SWLing.

Here's the expected SWR for the Sirio Discone (>300 MHz):

SirioX.jpg.6d8cdd0308efdd7cd3c4e7c9ab396784.jpg

First thing I did was REMOVE the loaded whip -- Which gave the following measured SWRs! 😎
(Left with whip / right with whip removed!) Whatever I prefer the thing as a PURE Discone...

combi.jpg.9b106c354dca91c78b704b2fd9df49d7.jpg

A first puchase of "Noname" LNA didn't work at all, so I went for the Noelec *general*
purpose 20dB one... Just to see what would happen when I tried it out with the RSP1A!

CLEARLY 20dB extra gain is not needed for Aircraft... 2m / 70cm etc. but I tried anyway!
With judicious reduction of RF gain it proved workable on e.g. 70cm... But the Discone
SNR was no better than the X30N" (thankfully? lol). Anyway I intend it for higher freq...
So I enlisted the help of the RSP Spectrum Analyser Software:

https://www.sdrplay.com/updated-spectrum-analyser-software-for-sdrplay-rsp-family/

This shows the RF spectrum from 600 to 1600MHz with Bias-T *on* (20dB extra gain):

spec.jpg.1931751d5426df50cdc2df31e0410f08.jpg

And, just for fun... Upto 2GHz! (If anyone can ID the major bands in plots... for interest?) 🥳

zzz.jpg.0bd753c44279447e65bb82a2b5a53eaa.jpg

I IMAGINE the next stage (for attempting any Hydrogen Line 1420Mz) might be some
kind of directional antenna (Satellite Dish came with the house - I've never used it!?!)
Clearly I need a filtered LNA to do anything *really* useful... A Nooelec "Sawbird"?!? 🤔

Hope this is of interest! An ever comments are welcome... 😃

P.S. Some inspiration was drawn from this... "Spectral Occupancy Measurements etc."
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/275649440_Spectral_Occupancy_Measurements_in_Rural_and_Urban_Environments_Analysis_and_Comparison

Edited by Macavity

Thank you Robin! Great to see the possibilities... and interest!
I'd be fairly happy to hear the "Cosmic Hiss" to be honest... 🥳

A slight pathos that "RF" seems generally quieter there days. 
I could do with a nice strong/steady signal on (say) 23cm? 😸

A few more Hams -  Not everyone is [DIY] angle grinding! 😛

Edited by Macavity