Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mare Crisium-Mons Usov

Mike JW

I wanted to make a start on the Lunar 200 as I have just one target left for the 100 (crater Peary - waiting for a good libration to get this one).

Number 147 is Mons Usov. Never heard of it or noticed it. Take a look at the sketch below and see if you can spot it!

932068114_marecrisiummonsisovandOneilsbridge.thumb.jpg.95fb9f70005d0dc972dc624d38660da6.jpg

Mons Usov is the lone mountain down in the SE of the Mare Crisium. It has been isolated from the basin rim by the basalt lava flows. It is 1700m high and appeared slightly curved. I have never noticed it before. 

Where the mare basalts flow out of the basin at the West is where O' Neils bridge can be observed (seen it once). The bridge lies in between Promontry Olivium to the north and P. Lavinium to the south. Both these names are defunct.

Sketch is chalk on black paper. (Much artistic licence in this sketch). Rough sketch made at the eyepiece in pencil, then drawn in chalk later.

Mike

• Like 3