Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece range help

Guys I need help figuring out eyepiece range for my reflector. It is a Meade eclipseview 114. The aperture is 114 mm and focal length is 450 mm . I know for sure it is an f/4 . I have a 2x Barlow that came with an eyepiece kit that doesn’t work as there’s not enough out focus. Right now I’m okay with that as I have a reflector the Barlow works great with. My eyepieces are 40mm, 26 mm, 20 mm ,12.5 mm ,9.7 mm,  6mm and I think 4 mm (unless I have two 9s or 6s as I have two 26s)  the 40 does put it right on a limit for sure. But what can I do between the 26 and the 40 mm? I’m trying for as broad a range as possible without putting my reflector at it’s limits. 

Hmm let me see... 

I would always go with a 30 mm at around 66 degrees for quite a nice view. The power isn't as low as the 40mm but it gives enough view for a very detailed observation of large DSOs. If you can get 70 degrees or more but that's only if you want to do visual astro and you have the budget (it is kinda expensive)

That's quite nice! 

Personally, I would get a kit like the one sold by Orion (Premium Telescope Accessory Kit 1.25") or the one by Celestron (I forgot) because I think the variety within is quite sufficient. Furthermore, we get several filters which really comes in handy when I'm trying to block out any light pollution. By the way, anyone knows a good and relatively cheap light pollution filter? Been searching for nearly a month without much success...

Edited by PoI-LordBlackwood

In my opinion kits do not represent good value for money as often you end up only using the one (32mm usually) and the filters are usually never used.  The Moon filter in the Celestron kit is awful and just makes the Moon look like green cheese, it is also plastic and not metal.  As the OP has quite a bit of kit already this would not help.  For his specific question I would look at the 32mm Explore Scientific 62° series eyepiece which will give great views. 

Edited by rwilkey
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, cutepetgroomer said:

Guys I need help figuring out eyepiece range for my reflector. It is a Meade eclipseview 114. The aperture is 114 mm and focal length is 450 mm . I know for sure it is an f/4 . I have a 2x Barlow that came with an eyepiece kit that doesn’t work as there’s not enough out focus. Right now I’m okay with that as I have a reflector the Barlow works great with. My eyepieces are 40mm, 26 mm, 20 mm ,12.5 mm ,9.7 mm,  6mm and I think 4 mm (unless I have two 9s or 6s as I have two 26s)  the 40 does put it right on a limit for sure. But what can I do between the 26 and the 40 mm? I’m trying for as broad a range as possible without putting my reflector at it’s limits. 

Plus 1 here for not bothering with a kit, they are pretty much a waste of money, just my opinion.

Your current eyepiece collection does not need anything between 26 and 40 in an F4/450 OTA. 40 gives x11 which is basically a spotter scope, the 26 is x18 and this is a widefield set up really or simply a higher magnification finder/spotter. You will gain nothing putting an eyepiece inbetween these two.  UPDATE: The 40mm is giving you a 10mm exit pupil, this is too large and you are losing light so in effect your views will be very washed out. Personally I wouldn't be using this eyepiece in your scope.

You do not state what your existing eyepiece collection is. Are they basic plossl's or something a little more exotic. Do you enjoy using the existing eyepieces or are you struggling with tight eye relief. You did state it is an eyepiece kit so probably fairly basic plossls. A photo of your eyepiece collection may help.

Personally I would be looking more at improving the mid to higher magnification eyepieces if indeed anything but lets not jump ahead. Figure what your own thoughts are on the current eyepiece collection and more importantly, what is it you are wanting to mainly observe though this scope. The latter will really drive what you buy next, if anything.

Steve

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PoI-LordBlackwood said:

Hmm let me see... 

I would always go with a 30 mm at around 66 degrees for quite a nice view. The power isn't as low as the 40mm but it gives enough view for a very detailed observation of large DSOs. If you can get 70 degrees or more but that's only if you want to do visual astro and you have the budget (it is kinda expensive)

That would mean moving to 2 inch eyepieces of course.

Not sure that @cutepetgroomer wants to go there yet ?

9 hours ago, PoI-LordBlackwood said:

Hmm let me see... 

The OP's scope is a 1.25" only telescope, so a 30mm eyepiece is going to yield closer to a 52 degree AFOV.

9 hours ago, PoI-LordBlackwood said:

That's quite nice! 

Personally, I would get a kit like the one sold by Orion (Premium Telescope Accessory Kit 1.25") or the one by Celestron (I forgot) because I think the variety within is quite sufficient. Furthermore, we get several filters which really comes in handy when I'm trying to block out any light pollution. By the way, anyone knows a good and relatively cheap light pollution filter? Been searching for nearly a month without much success...

The OP's eyepieces already cover what's included in most eyepiece kits.  Filter kits come up fairly regularly on CN classifieds for $20 to $30 all the time if the OP wants to get filters.

4 hours ago, rwilkey said:

For his specific question I would look at the 32mm Explore Scientific 62° series eyepiece which will give great views.

Again, 2" fit only.  It's not going to work in a Meade EclipseView 114 mm:

spacer.png

3 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Your current eyepiece collection does not need anything between 26 and 40 in an F4/450 OTA. 40 gives x11 which is basically a spotter scope, the 26 is x18 and this is a widefield set up really or simply a higher magnification finder/spotter. You will gain nothing putting an eyepiece inbetween these two.  UPDATE: The 40mm is giving you a 10mm exit pupil, this is too large and you are losing light so in effect your views will be very washed out. Personally I wouldn't be using this eyepiece in your scope.

Totally agree here.  In fact, not only is the 40mm yielding a 10mm exit pupil, it's also showing the central obstruction as a 3mm to 4mm shadow dead center which would be almost impossible to work around until fully dark adapted.

Rather than spend money on more eyepieces, I would probably recommend the OP to get another scope with a longer focal length and more aperture for higher power work.  This scope, and everything else in the OP's sig, will be fine for low power work.  Something like a 6" f/8 Dob would be a nice improvement without getting too bulky.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Plus 1 here for not bothering with a kit, they are pretty much a waste of money, just my opinion.

You do not state what your existing eyepiece collection is. Are they basic plossl's or something a little more exotic. Do you enjoy using the existing eyepieces or are you struggling with tight eye relief. You did state it is an eyepiece kit so probably fairly basic plossls. A photo of your eyepiece collection may help.

Personally I would be looking more at improving the mid to higher magnification eyepieces if indeed anything but lets not jump ahead. Figure what your own thoughts are on the current eyepiece collection and more importantly, what is it you are wanting to mainly observe though this scope. The latter will really drive what you buy next, if anything.

Steve

I have two eyepieces that are the MA format from Meade . The rest are plossls . I really been enjoying planetary viewing lately but go back and forth between deep space objects , messier and planetary.

1 hour ago, cutepetgroomer said:

I have two eyepieces that are the MA format from Meade . The rest are plossls . I really been enjoying planetary viewing lately but go back and forth between deep space objects , messier and planetary.

If I were you I would be doing as Louis says above and thinking about getting a decent scope and you will suddenly find a whole new cosmos out there. Is there a reason you are only buying very small scopes such as space limitations or similar?

I only ask because with your current outfits you are very limited to what you are going to see. 

Sorry don't want to sound downer or anything but just trying to help you make the right decisions instead of throwing your dollars at things that aren't really that much help.

Edited by bomberbaz

Space limitations is one reason. The other is I need ease of portability.  My refractor was a gift so I had no say in specs. I am looking at new scope anyways but that won’t be for a while . I can build eyepieces and filters for time being.

I'm going to go in an entirely different direction and recommend a Baader Morpheus 9mm if you won't be upgrading your scope any time soon.  It will get you a 2.25 exit pupil which is just about ideal, it is an excellent, nearly ultrawide eyepiece that should deal well with your fast primary, and it will produce about 50x which is good for a large number of objects.  Personally, I would prefer one really good eyepiece, especially in a very fast scope, over a bunch of mediocre ones.  If you can get an extension tube, you should be able to use your Barlow with it to observe planets and planetary nebulae.

7 hours ago, Louis D said:

I'm going to go in an entirely different direction and recommend a Baader Morpheus 9mm if you won't be upgrading your scope any time soon.  It will get you a 2.25 exit pupil which is just about ideal, it is an excellent, nearly ultrawide eyepiece that should deal well with your fast primary, and it will produce about 50x which is good for a large number of objects.  Personally, I would prefer one really good eyepiece, especially in a very fast scope, over a bunch of mediocre ones.  If you can get an extension tube, you should be able to use your Barlow with it to observe planets and planetary nebulae.

I Think this is an excellent suggestion.  It will be a timeless purchase and you will use it more than any of the others.   Extension tubes cost a few dollars btw.  

As you have stated you have a lack of storage, something like this is an idea worth considering when funds allow. It is small and lightweight but importantly will give you a massive boost to your night time viewing prospects.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/sky-watcher-heritage-150p-flextube-dobsonian-telescope.html

5 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

As you have stated you have a lack of storage, something like this is an idea worth considering when funds allow. It is small and lightweight but importantly will give you a massive boost to your night time viewing prospects.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/sky-watcher-heritage-150p-flextube-dobsonian-telescope.html

I was going to suggest it, except that I don't think it's available in the US from any dealers.  I also don't know if any UK dealers will ship it to the US.  I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to ship the 130p version due to an exclusive licensing agreement with AWB OneSky in the US.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Louis D said:

I never even thought of extension tube, much less heard of those. 

7 hours ago, Louis D said:

I was going to suggest it, except that I don't think it's available in the US from any dealers.  I also don't know if any UK dealers will ship it to the US.  I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to ship the 130p version due to an exclusive licensing agreement with AWB OneSky in the US.

Yeah I’ve seen the one sky .. I even told husband I wished I seen it sooner .. then he said maybe Christmas.. but he agreed on a new refractor since current one is one it’s last legs with the focuser tension.

17 hours ago, Louis D said:

Instead of another refra tor have you considered a mak?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov.html

The 127 would be a huge leap up from your existing collection and is very portable  and easy to store. Get looking around the 2nd hand market and you could pick one up for under $200 easily. 

The only issue might be your tripod and mount as we don't know what you have.

Trouble with astronomy, every upgrade can become a bit of a money pit as I recently found out.

8 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Instead of another refra tor have you considered a mak?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov.html

The 127 would be a huge leap up from your existing collection and is very portable  and easy to store. Get looking around the 2nd hand market and you could pick one up for under $200 easily. 

The only issue might be your tripod and mount as we don't know what you have.

Trouble with astronomy, every upgrade can become a bit of a money pit as I recently found out.

I checked out the link. Is this one of those catadioptric telescopes?  

13 minutes ago, cutepetgroomer said:

I checked out the link. Is this one of those catadioptric telescopes?  

It is indeed, excellent on planets and the moon but also still very good on cluster, globulars and doubles.  It will work on nebula and galaxies as well but planets are it's real strong point.