Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which camera to choose?

MylesGibson

So, during the lockdown, I have been playing poker online with some friends. Fortunately, I have done pretty well and have managed to win enough to buy myself a new camera. The 2 that I am struggling to decide between are the ZWO ASI224MC (LINK) and the ZWO ASI290MC (LINK). Budget-wise, the 224 is more friendly, but I can stretch to the 290 if it would make quite a difference. 

There seems to be a lot of information about choosing a CCD camera so that it gets a bit confusing and makes choosing one hard. I already own a DSLR, so my main objective fro this camera would be Lunar and Planetary imaging, with potential small, bright nebula imaging, and also as a guide camera in the future.

If it helps, the scope I am using is an Altair Starwave 102 ED-R (LINK).

Any advice, pros/cons is appreciated, if the 290 is quite superior, I can stretch to it, but if the 224 will do just as good a job, then I'd prefer that, budget wise. If anyone wants to recommend another camera, feel free to do so, but please say why. I use Astrophotography Tool for my imaging sessions, so any alternative option would ideally work with this!

I've been trying to choose for the last week and a half or so, and decided it was time to ask for advice from people who know more before making a final decision!

Edited by MylesGibson

I have both the 290c and 224c and both are pretty good for what they are, 290c edges it for me for definition and larger pixels, but other folks may think the 224c is better with better ir sensitivity and I fitted mine with a clear window for solar/lunar imaging, like most answers what is the setup and gear etc. ton

10 hours ago, ebdons said:

I have both the 290c and 224c and both are pretty good for what they are, 290c edges it for me for definition and larger pixels, but other folks may think the 224c is better with better ir sensitivity and I fitted mine with a clear window for solar/lunar imaging, like most answers what is the setup and gear etc. ton

I ended up going with the 290. Took far too long to get any reply so I went with that, mainly for the better resolution. I did mention the scope it would be used with

Edited by MylesGibson

Ok, I did see your setup listed, but I try and have a cam that is as "universal" as possible so like you I have the 290c and that is I think more suited to different setups. so your  refractor and I have used the 290c with a newt  with some success as well, but good luck with the cam as it's a cracker when setup right. all the best Ton