SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Telescope + USB3 camera remote operation

Al-man

I am looking for advice on reducing the number of leads from three to one. At the moment I have the USB camera connected via 25 mtrs of USB 3 cable (with a powered USB3 Hub in the middle) to my PC in the house. The electric focuser is connected to the PC with 25 mtrs of Ethernet cable with USB to RJ45 adapters at each end and the telescope mount controller handset is connected via another 25mtr length of Ethernet cable with RJ45 to RS232 adapters at each end. I have seen on Amazon a USB 3.0 Hub -  USB Ethernet Adapter Splitter with RJ45 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Network LAN Port - 3 Ports USB 3.0 HUB (not sure if links to Amazon are allowed on here). This has a USB 3 lead  ( for power ? ) input at one end, a RJ45 socket at the other with three USB 3 ports in the middle. If I had one of these at each end of a single RJ45 lead with the three USB devices connected at the telescope end and three short USB leads from my PC connected to the USB 3 /RJ45 at the other end, would this work ?. If not is there a another way of reducing the number of cables.  I find that unrolling and rolling up the cables each time I use the telescope, usually results in a bit of a tangle. 😒

None of them, if you want reliable operation, with less headaches, the best solution is to site a computer adjacent to the mount\scope, thereby using short USB cables.

You can then control the computer remotely, using WiFi (not my prefered solution) or gigabit ethernet. It doesn't have to be a very powerful computer, it just need to be able to run your preferred control\acquisition software, you can even save images remotely to your 'inside' computer. 

1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

None of them, if you want reliable operation, with less headaches, the best solution is to site a computer adjacent to the mount\scope, thereby using short USB cables.

You can then control the computer remotely, using WiFi (not my prefered solution) or gigabit ethernet. It doesn't have to be a very powerful computer, it just need to be able to run your preferred control\acquisition software, you can even save images remotely to your 'inside' computer. 

I tried that option when I first set it all up, but my old laptop wasn't powerful enough to run the software. Although in hindsight it probably wouldn't have cost much more to buy a S/H laptop than the cables and adapters.

You will always have problems when you try and extend USB signal leads, no matter if you use powered extenders etc. even using good quality hubs (StarTech) and leads (Chromo), over longer distances, the USB signals will auto compensate usually by slowing everything down....