Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First attempt at the Milky Way

I’ve recently got my first DSLR, a Canon 250D. I’ve been wanting to try some Milky Way photography. Using a Samyang F2.8 14mm lens, I took a 20 second exposure at ISO1600. All editing was done in Affinity Photo. As you might guess, my processing skills are still in their infancy! I’m sure that I made a plethora of mistakes but I’m fairly happy with the end result. I stopped and went back to the beginning in the processing more times than I can remember!

EF259A95-8C2F-4409-B225-730515182891.thumb.png.ba43db5a7125a7fd42ed69f9cb0d321c.png

Any hints, tips or suggestions greatly appreciated :)

• Like 9

That result looks good to me Neil :icon_biggrin:

I can't really help though because I'm at a similar stage with astro photography - very 1st steps !

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to pick up some tips myself, if thats OK ? :icon_biggrin:

• Thanks 1

Just now, John said:

That result looks good to me Neil :icon_biggrin:

I can't really help though because I'm at a similar stage with astro photography - very 1st steps !

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to pick up some tips myself, if thats OK ? :icon_biggrin:

Thank you, John! I didn’t know you were venturing into the dark side :D 

Of course, and ask questions too. You’re bound to think of things that I haven’t :) 

• 1 month later...

Even though i'm not new to Astrophotography, I haven't tried getting some good Milky Way shots in becuase where i used to live you could barley see it, but now i live at a new location with much less pollution and you can see the Milky very well with your naked eyes.

These arer some of my recent shots of the Milky way using a Nikon D3500 DSLR mounted on a simple tripod, with ISO:12800-25600 , exposure time: 10 sec. f/3.5 18 mm. You can also see Jupiter and Saturn int the background (bright two stars close to each other). Editing-wise, i didnt do much of anything except tweaking and enhancing in the basic adjustment settings in photos. No fancy programs or anything. Just basic stuff. Mine were pretty similar to yours too! Overall, pretty happy with the results🔭😄

DSC_0645.jpg2.thumb.jpg.db6d632f04a34a4ccad775878d649584.jpg

DSC_0651.jpg2.thumb.jpg.a072da0a76d3341bd9830a6402e47f70.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.0965efbe04a0c43fed1d20c57c270094.jpg

Here's to clear skies

May the force be with you.

Edited by Anakin Skywalker
  • Like 4