SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

first Astro imaging

Very decent camera for planetary imaging but not very suited for DSO imaging.

It will largely depend on scope that you plan to put it on.

It has rather small sensor and if you have short focal length scope - addition of x0.5 focal reducer will enable you to do some EEVA with it - which is very similar to imaging and you will be able to record your live sessions to process further.

One advantage of that camera is - if you progress with your DSO imaging further - it will work nicely as a guide camera.

• Like 1

What equipment do you already have ?

Many start with a standard DSLR for their first images and many use them permanently. Its a relatively cheap way of getting into AP, the sensors are a lot bigger than you will get with a cheapish Astro camera and you can get some excellent images of many DSO's.  

Planetary imaging and DSO's ideally require different cameras and scope combinations (as I said ideally) so if not much experience it may be easier for you to start on either DSO's or planetary imaging. Personally I think starting out trying to do both is difficult and will not be helped if you want to keep the budget from spiraling out of control.

If you add some more info on what you already own or intend to buy (mount, scope(s) etc) then many who have much more experience and knowedge than myself will give you lots of great advice.

Steve

That scope will be very good for planetary imaging. Just make sure you collimate it properly and add a barlow lens.

You'll need something like x2.5 - x3 barlow, but any decent barlow will do since magnification factor of barlow depends on barlow sensor distance, so you can "dial in" wanted magnification by altering distance to sensor (adding spacers).

It will work as DSO imaging rig as well just add x0.5 focal reducer - but make sure you understand limitations. First - exposure length. You will be sampling at very high rate (big zoom) - and any imperfection in tracking will show. You need to limit your exposures to probably something like 10s or even less.

Second is field of view. It will be very small. For example, look at M13 with this combination:

image.png.79853712fe3d675ed2de209967e927a8.png

Or maybe M51:

image.png.dff307c3f7c17eff73994e0fa92179c3.png

You won't be able to capture larger objects like M33 for example:

image.png.db3bce025bacb2b9608f929a9c281ff1.png

In fact, here are some images that I captured with camera like that and 8" F/6 Newtonian + x0.5 GSO focal reducer:

M42_optimized.png

M82_rework.png

C30.png

This means that you can get your feet wet with regards to DSO imaging with this camera, but I do agree, real step forward would be:

1. DSLR

2. Coma corrector

3. Small guide scope + this camera as guider