SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sadr, Crescent and Tulip

don4l

These two panels were meant to be part of a larger mosaic that I haven't finished yet.  I'm posting now because I've been playing with Affinity Photo, and I'm very pleased with the results.  Previously, I wasn't able to balance up the colours in both halves at all.  This version might not be to everybody's taste, but the balance between panels is much better than I have ever managed before.  I've now purchased a full copy of Photo, and I will be using it in future.

The left hand pane has 80m Ha and 100m OIII.  The right side, 60m Ha and 130m OIII.  @rodd's superb image has prompted people to ask where WR134 is, so I've highlighted it in the "finder" image below.

The data was acquired last summer with a G3 16200, Tak 106 at F3.6, on an EQ6.

Hopefully, I should get more data over the next couple of months so that I can extend, and do a more traditional RGB with the NB blended in.

cresAff.jpg

CresCdC.jpg

• Like 17

WOW That is a wide FOV. And what depth too. Very nice image to me.

Looks very dramatic.  It would be interesting to see how this progresses but  it looks perfectly fine as is to me. 

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, don4l said:

Thank for the very encouraging comments.

I was a bit worried that people might think that it was too garish, even though I liked it myself.

When I first looked at this I thought the crescent is just a bit too garish but as I looked at it a bit longer I changed my mind.  Lovely picture and a wonderful field of view.

• Thanks 1

Encouraged by the Masteclass articles in Astronomy Now and Nik's StarGaZine talk I'm also trying Affinity Photo, by the way.  There are a couple of stumbling blocks (for example it seems that sample points only report the values for a single pixel and not an average of a number of pixels) but it does seem very capable.

9 minutes ago, x6gas said:

Encouraged by the Masteclass articles in Astronomy Now and Nik's StarGaZine talk I'm also trying Affinity Photo, by the way.  There are a couple of stumbling blocks (for example it seems that sample points only report the values for a single pixel and not an average of a number of pixels) but it does seem very capable.

I suspect that there are a few areas where it is lacking.  I don't think that it has a sensible RGB combine, for example.  I'm finding the "live adjustment" layers very useful.  It is also much, much faster than the Gimp on my machine.

BTW, good spot on the "garish" Crescent.  In my defence,  I was just learning Affinity when I produced the image.  The Crescent itself was taken with my Tal, and I turned up the brightness a bit because it is sort of centre stage.  The image is definitely more "art" than "science".

3 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Wowsers!   That is something else.  I would love to produce an image like that, honestly that is just my cup of tea the ways it's been processed

Thanks Adam.  I *think* that it came out this way is that I wanted to emphasise WR 134.  Immediately after stacking,  the OIII was given two different stretches.  A gentle one for the Green, and a more agressive one for the Blue.  I also gave the Ha a much more gentle stretch than I usually do, to keep the red down a bit.

Mind you, the two halves still came out looking completely different, and I used the Channel Mixer in Affinity to balance the two halves up a bit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spitfire said:

What a terrific image. Great wide field and I can't see the join!

Can you give me more info on the filters you have used......bandwidth and maker?

Geoff

They are Chroma, 3nm.

They make a huge difference.  The Ha makes it quicker to get clean data, but the OIII makes it possible to capture data that just isn't possible  with a 7nm or 12nm in a light polluted area.