Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ha Filter for Osc

Allinthehead

You're a well known and respected astrophotographer and contributer to SGL. I'd be inclined to contact the suppliers to let you try what they have on offer and let you make your pick on the basis of your findings and report back on that. As the CMOS cameras make more and more inroads into AP there is a need for hands on experience.

Olly

2 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

I'm looking for an Ha filter to use with my Asi2600mc and Epsilon 130. Can anyone advise on a good filter to image at F/3.3? I see Baader have an F/2 10nm filter and also a 7nm filter.

Regards 

Richard.

Astrodon and Chroma will work at F3 if you can afford them. I would think that a duel band filter would be the way to go with OSC though? 

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/stc-astro-duo-narrowband-filter-2.html

Just split the channels and you have ha and oiii at the same time far more efficient. 

Edited by Adam J

54 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

You're a well known and respected astrophotographer and contributer to SGL. I'd be inclined to contact the suppliers to let you try what they have on offer and let you make your pick on the basis of your findings and report back on that. As the CMOS cameras make more and more inroads into AP there is a need for hands on experience.

Olly

Thanks Olly, definitely worth a try.

30 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Astrodon and Chroma will work at F3 if you can afford them. I would think that a duel band filter would be the way to go with OSC though? 

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/stc-astro-duo-narrowband-filter-2.html

Just split the channels and you have ha and oiii at the same time far more efficient. 

Thanks Adam. I have the Stc filter, although i've yet to really try it out properly. It needs moonless skies with the Oiii and it's hard for me to justify using it ahead of shooting broadband. 

18 minutes ago, emyliano2000 said:

Optolong is launching the L-extreme 7nm dual band filter soon. Their L-enhance has been praised a lot by the OSC users so I'm thinking the L-extreme will be quite nice. 

A bit pricey though. 

https://www.astroshop.eu/broadband-filters/optolong-filters-l-extreme-2-/p,66894

Emil

That is expensive, although the Stc wasn't exactly cheap either.

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks Adam. I have the Stc filter, although i've yet to really try it out properly. It needs moonless skies with the Oiii and it's hard for me to justify using it ahead of shooting broadband.

The moon will not matter. You can just use the Ha portion irrespective of the OIII by seperating them into indevidual channels. So if the moon is up one night all you need to do is take the red pixels and stack them only as Ha signal is only in the red channel. You would have to do this with a Ha filter anyway. In a similar way you can extract the OIII channel too. This is the beauty of a duel band filter.

APP does this very well.

I dont own one to be clear but I used to use the same technique with a UHC filter.

I would try this before you potentially waste money on a Ha filter when you already have one in effect.

Adam

Edited by Adam J

12 hours ago, Adam J said:

So if the moon is up one night all you need to do is take the red pixels and stack them only as Ha signal is only in the red channel. You would have to do this with a Ha filter anyway. In a similar way you can extract the OIII channel too. This is the beauty of a duel band filter.

APP does this very well.

That makes sense, I'll try this out first. It will be interesting to see if it works and if the filter is narrow enough to combat light from the moon. My 5nm Astrodon worked well in the moonlight, i believe the Stc is 10nm.

3 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

That makes sense, I'll try this out first. It will be interesting to see if it works and if the filter is narrow enough to combat light from the moon. My 5nm Astrodon worked well in the moonlight, i believe the Stc is 10nm.

Depends on how much moon. Even a 5nm AD like mine will not work close to a full moon. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/07/2020 at 18:31, Xiga said:

Hi Richard

Another option worth considering is the IDAS-NBX. It won't be out until August, but it looks very promising. 10nm bandpass at both Ha and Oiii, but importantly they are quoted as working as far down as F2. 

https://digiborg.wordpress.com/ 

Thanks Ciaran, certainly worth a look.

2 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

My eyes😯 that is some price for a filter. Specs look great however.

Perhaps they're having a contest with Astrodon for the dearest filter 😂

Dave

How does it compare to a filter wheel and a full set of 2” wide and narrow band filters, as I presume these would all be surplus to requirements if you have a suitable OSC camera?