Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fun topic, suggestions for name

Nigella Bryant

Hi all, I've completed the RoR Observatory out of the existing wooden shed, now started with the rebuild of the dome. Looking for name suggestions for my Observatory complex, lol. I did think about the Sir Patric Moore observatory complex, lol. Suggestions appreciated.

Mine is called Ty Seren (Star House in Welsh) Someone on here misread the sign and wondered why I'd called it TV Screen!!!  🤣  My alternative was 'Cwtch under the stars' which the Welsh folk on here might recognise as a take on 'Cwtch under the stairs' - cwtch in Welsh can mean a hug or a small safe place...

In reality its is usually refered to as 'The Obs'!!

But its fun to think about something that you can use if you register/contribute to campaigns etc

Helen

• Thanks 1

Wall-e Observatory here, named due to the similarity in appearance of my dual rig of ED80s to the character from the Pixar movie Wall-e.  (My kids werent familiar with the 90s classic Jonny-5!)

64887E0A-E943-47E6-A33E-766E6078DE44.jpeg

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Wall-e Observatory here, named due to the similarity in appearance of my dual rig of ED80s to the character from the Pixar movie Wall-e.  (My kids werent familiar with the 90s classic Jonny-5!)

64887E0A-E943-47E6-A33E-766E6078DE44.jpeg

Spot On, are there some caterpillar tracks on the base of the pier?😊

Mine is Deep Sky West Midlands, New Mexico it ain’t!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I jokingly refer to mine as Area51.

Even though you see it from a distance, its really not there. 

Only thing that worries me is the powers to be, regularly upgrade their property tax base with satellite images, and it's on the new images.

Along with the metal roof someone installed on my house!!😊

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

I jokingly refer to mine as Area51.

Even though you see it from a distance, its really not there. 

Only thing that worries me is the powers to be, regularly upgrade their property tax base with satellite images, and it's on the new images.

Along with the metal roof someone installed on my house!!😊

That's the scariest, spy in the sky. Have to use camaflarge netting, lol. 

2 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Hi all, I've completed the RoR Observatory out of the existing wooden shed, now started with the rebuild of the dome. Looking for name suggestions for my Observatory complex, lol. I did think about the Sir Patric Moore observatory complex, lol. Suggestions appreciated.

The Phoenix Observatory,as it was built up again....comes to mind.

• Like 5

My husband calls mine my Portaloo.   But I guess you want something more classy than that. 

I'd call it something astronomical.  

2 entirely different observatories, ROR and Slotted, must be an anagram there somehow. 

If I have any brainwaves I will come back to this thread. 

Carole 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Helen said:

My alternative was 'Cwtch under the stars' which the Welsh folk on here might recognise as a take on 'Cwtch under the stairs' - cwtch in Welsh can mean a hug or a small safe place...

There was a completely harmless Radio 4 series called Curious Under The Stars, which I thoroughly enjoyed even though it had nothing to do with astronomy! :D

56 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

How about Nigella's United Telescope Sheds :)

Steve

I think the U needs to be Universal! :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lack of space ruled out a permanent observatory. I make do with a fixed pier and a shed from which all astro activities are taken forth. The shed and my astronomy blog are collectively known as the Jodrell Plank Observatory. Some time ago I started inventing and naming imaginary staff members - sad really!

I quite liked 'cloud base'

Best regards George

• Like 1

Given the duration it was built in and the current situation how about 'The Rainbow Rooms'  or 'The Rainbow Roller'.  Unfortunately Bryant's Obsy gives BO!!  Or how about The Voyager Complex as you are looking into the depths of things billions of miles away and Voyager is the farthest thing from earth at the moment.

• Like 1