Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep33_banner.thumb.jpg.75d09b4b1b4e5bdb1393e57ce45e6a32.jpg

Dantooine

Question.. Baader 2” cliklock for Altair prism diagonal

I have an Altair prism diagonal and notice when I lock an eyepiece in, as I tighten the single screw it pushes the eyepiece to the side. Does anyone know if it’s possible to remove the Altair eyepiece holder end and replace it with a 2” baader cliklock type. I have a 1.25” version and it seems to hold things very secure. Another question is, would there be a danger of eyepiece barrels making contact with the prism? Hopefully someone has come across this before. 

Dale. 

Hi Dale,

I have the mirror SCT version that I use with my 're-modded' ETX105 and C6/SCT-xlt and mine does not do what you said and has shoulder/ledge so that 2" eyepiece barrels do not make contact with/marring the surface. If it is new, then I would contact the seller/vendor. Let's wait and see what other replies we get first, before contemplating on sending it back.

The only issue I have is the brass compression rings; (both the 1.25" & 2"); fouling the safety undercut with some of my eyepieces.

If the Altair eyepiece holder unscrews then you can measure the diameter and pitch of the threads to see if Baader have a corresponding fitting ( measure width of 5 or 10 threads then divide measurement by number of threads, if you don't have screw pitch gauges)

1 hour ago, Dantooine said:

I have an Altair prism diagonal and notice when I lock an eyepiece in, as I tighten the single screw it pushes the eyepiece to the side. Does anyone know if it’s possible to remove the Altair eyepiece holder end and replace it with a 2” baader cliklock type. I have a 1.25” version and it seems to hold things very secure. Another question is, would there be a danger of eyepiece barrels making contact with the prism? Hopefully someone has come across this before. 

Dale. 

Hi Dale,

I think you are the one in the position to semi-answer the question. Does the eyepeice holder unscrew itself from the prism?  If it does then the next question is regarding thread size.

I'm not sure which diagonal you have, but Altair do a 2" prism clicklock type, so it might be worth emailing altair direct they might be able to send you their version to attach/modify: https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/altair-2-prism.html#SID=566

Edited by DeathWarpedUp

Thanks for the replies. I will probably dismantle it When I get a day off and my eyes are not so tired to take measurements but was hoping someone may have already came across the same thing and knew the part number. 

7 hours ago, DeathWarpedUp said:

Hi Dale,

I think you are the one in the position to semi-answer the question. Does the eyepeice holder unscrew itself from the prism?  If it does then the next question is regarding thread size.

I'm not sure which diagonal you have, but Altair do a 2" prism clicklock type, so it might be worth emailing altair direct they might be able to send you their version to attach/modify: https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/altair-2-prism.html#SID=566

Thanks for reply. The one you mentioned is the one I have. I think the baader mechanism is better. Was hoping to replace the one that’s on it. Failing that I’ll consider the baader prism and click lock. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Roger Corbett
      Hi all,
      I'm becoming a bit of a Moon and Planets visual observer and in consequence, I'm considering an Amici Diagonal. I have read that at high magnification your view can be obscured. That said, I have read that it is of little consequence when using a Mak and a decent diagonal like this one - https://tinyurl.com/y75z4n5v from Baader Planetarium. I'm really keen to make my East East and my West West. Any advice or experience would be welcome

• By Viktorious
      Time for yet another cry for help when it comes to choosing diagonal. I have read the many similar threads and gathered some knowledge (too many to start linking). I have come some way in my process and now that it is coming to final decisions I would like to hear from the experts. Not many of threads I have read end with the OP returning to deliver some review/verdict of his/her final decision. While I wait for response on some thread where I asked about the result, the eagerness in me forces me to write my own thread. Perhaps some of the people asking these questions before can now answer in my thread as experts!

I have the Nexstar Evolution 9.25 and am currently using the stock diagonal. My eyepieces are the Baader 8-24 mm zoom and the stock 40 mm Plössl. I would also like to upgrade EPs and there I'm looking at something better in 24 mm range, as well some nice low power for more FOV. I'm following threads about EPs and SCTs with great interest for this (on CN). Can say that I'm currently leaning towards the 1.25" 24 mm ES 68° and 2" 36 mm Hyperion aspheric (if going 2" route).

I'm thinking 2 alternatives (including a budget alternative for one of them). I'm looking at Baader mainly for ClickLock (and expect good optics):
      Baader T2 Zeiss prism with a 1.25" ClickLock EP (T2 part #08) -OR- the 2" prism with 2" ClickLock (splurging that is). The budget alternative would be to get the non-Zeiss T2 prism instead for the 1.25". Worth noting that I would like to get the Celestron f/6.3 Reducer/Corrector. This would be for future purposes of delving into EAA but of course I would use it visually as well (especially if choosing the T2 route). The reasoning for my alternatives:
      Go for the 2" Zeiss prism to theoretically get the best of the best in visual terms. I would make better use of the 46 mm baffle tube opening. Theoretically possible to combine with the R/C thanks to relative short light path (although not necessarily needed with 2" EPs). Downside of going to 2" accessories would be the cost, EPs, filters etc., on top of diagonal. Would not be able to spend all these costs at once. Cheaper route with T2 prism (especially the non-Zeiss), not only diagonal but also the other accessories. Cost of the R/C would be comparable to e.g. the 36 mm aspheric and give similar power and FOV with the 24 mm ES, i.e. the 24 mm would act as both. Extra plus is the ClickLock clamp for 1.25" with built in fine focusing not involving the mirror. Downside of knowing that not all light coming out of baffle tube is used. To get the wide FOV (24 mm + R/C) I'm adding glass to the optical train (theoretically not a good thing). I'm leaning towards the T2 as it would be a cheaper diagonal and for EPs I would only need the 24 mm and then the reducer instead of a 30-40 mm, so saving the expense of one EP. Then I would already have the reducer for continuing into EAA. The questions I hope the experts here can help with:
      The old reducer vs 2" diagonal question. With R/C and the 24 mm I can get roughly the same mag and FOV as e.g. the 36 mm Hyperion (technically 38 mm vs 36 mm and 68° vs 72°). Also reading good things about the ES 68° and with R/C the EP should behave the same. Am I missing something here? The logics say that the I would lose some contrast with the R/C (not using full opening + adding elements), correct? Possibly flatter fields though (not important now, hopefully the EP threads might tell soon enough). The Zeiss vs non-Zeiss T2? Big differences? I have read a few posts on this so most to get some updated views here (have read that Baader has changed some things over the years). Using the R/C (f/6.3) with these prisms. I know f/7 is mentioned as "the limit" but also remember BillP's test where he was happy down to f/6 with the prisms (in 2014 at least). Perhaps most important: have I missed some other obvious alternative here? Maybe I have forgotten some question here but perhaps for the best as I assume those who have gotten this far are tired of reading now. Thanks for getting here though!

Thanks,
      Viktor
    • By w665gc
      https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/tecnosky-apochromatic-refractor-ap-70-478-quadruplet-flat-field-ota/p,57327
      How to know this? I have read that with 65/420 scopes you cannot use 2" diagonals because there isn't enough backfocus.
    • By Bino Pete
      Celestron XLT 2" diagonal
      Includes 2" - 1.25" adapter
      SCT fit
      original packaging

The diagonal is in excellent condition

May swap for Baader Hyperion 68 degree 10mm eyepiece or Baader Aspheric eyepiece 31mm or 36mm - these must be in excellent condition with caps etc

Price includes postage (1st class signed for)
      £110  £89
      Lancashire area
      Cash payment or fees paid via Paypal.

• By Bellastargazer
      Hello all,
      We've just discovered that the  Bresser Skylux 70/700 that Santa brought to my daughter is missing one piece: the prism/diagonal. My husband went to the shop (supermarket) where the telescope was bought at a very convenient price (like 50% discount), but at this time we fear there will be no other telescopes left, so we'll probably have to options:
      - Get the refund for the telescope and save some money for another telescope, at a higher price
      - Stick with the telescope and buy the missing piece on eBay or Amazon... maybe we can find a better one which will improve the telescope performance?
      We have zero knowledge about lenses/telescopes, but my daughter is really interested in Astronomy (watching videos and reading about it all day long) and she was really excited when she got her first telescope...
      Could you please give some advice?
      Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.