Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Question.. Baader 2” cliklock for Altair prism diagonal

I have an Altair prism diagonal and notice when I lock an eyepiece in, as I tighten the single screw it pushes the eyepiece to the side. Does anyone know if it’s possible to remove the Altair eyepiece holder end and replace it with a 2” baader cliklock type. I have a 1.25” version and it seems to hold things very secure. Another question is, would there be a danger of eyepiece barrels making contact with the prism? Hopefully someone has come across this before. 

Dale. 

Hi Dale,

I have the mirror SCT version that I use with my 're-modded' ETX105 and C6/SCT-xlt and mine does not do what you said and has shoulder/ledge so that 2" eyepiece barrels do not make contact with/marring the surface. If it is new, then I would contact the seller/vendor. Let's wait and see what other replies we get first, before contemplating on sending it back.

The only issue I have is the brass compression rings; (both the 1.25" & 2"); fouling the safety undercut with some of my eyepieces.

If the Altair eyepiece holder unscrews then you can measure the diameter and pitch of the threads to see if Baader have a corresponding fitting ( measure width of 5 or 10 threads then divide measurement by number of threads, if you don't have screw pitch gauges)

1 hour ago, Dantooine said:

I have an Altair prism diagonal and notice when I lock an eyepiece in, as I tighten the single screw it pushes the eyepiece to the side. Does anyone know if it’s possible to remove the Altair eyepiece holder end and replace it with a 2” baader cliklock type. I have a 1.25” version and it seems to hold things very secure. Another question is, would there be a danger of eyepiece barrels making contact with the prism? Hopefully someone has come across this before. 

Dale. 

Hi Dale,

I think you are the one in the position to semi-answer the question. Does the eyepeice holder unscrew itself from the prism?  If it does then the next question is regarding thread size.

I'm not sure which diagonal you have, but Altair do a 2" prism clicklock type, so it might be worth emailing altair direct they might be able to send you their version to attach/modify: https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/altair-2-prism.html#SID=566

Edited by DeathWarpedUp

Thanks for the replies. I will probably dismantle it When I get a day off and my eyes are not so tired to take measurements but was hoping someone may have already came across the same thing and knew the part number. 

7 hours ago, DeathWarpedUp said:

Hi Dale,

I think you are the one in the position to semi-answer the question. Does the eyepeice holder unscrew itself from the prism?  If it does then the next question is regarding thread size.

I'm not sure which diagonal you have, but Altair do a 2" prism clicklock type, so it might be worth emailing altair direct they might be able to send you their version to attach/modify: https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/altair-2-prism.html#SID=566

Thanks for reply. The one you mentioned is the one I have. I think the baader mechanism is better. Was hoping to replace the one that’s on it. Failing that I’ll consider the baader prism and click lock.