Narrowband

BOOT LOADER Serial Invalid Pkg: 0008

Yay, finally got a Celestron Focus Motor.

Did all the physical install and checked my handset firmware. It's 1.16. Need 1.19.

Set scope to use my home access point and connected to it successfully. It recognises my devices including the Focus Motor. 

Start update. It stalls mid way through. Start again and if finishes successfully. 

Restart scope and....

IMG_3982.jpg

Have tried repeating the update process and it just says my firmware is up to date.

Tried holding Celestron and 7 down on start. Same thing.

Tried holding 0 on start (factory reset). No change. Although I'm not sure factory reset is occurring as surely it should then reload all the firmware.

Any clues?

I even tried my old handcontroller and it updates fine and recognises the focus motor. But the calibrate process doesn't work real well and it is very patchy on how it works.

My set up is an Evolution 6. Then I added StarSense, which replaces the hand controller with the StarSense one.

Then when you add the Focus Motor CFM notices it is connected and attempts to add the packages to the hand controller (whether original or StarSense).

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well, hand controller is being sent to Tasco (Celestron distributors).

I can still align using StarSense using SkySafari, and even adjust focus with it. But I prefer to use a hand controller for focus. Fortunately I still have the old NexStar+ one that came with the OTA.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have the exact same problem, did you get any explanation to this error and is the only way to get round that to send it back to Celestron or somebody who can re-flash it? Would be very happy if you have a answer.

Have a nice summer and clear skies

Pekka

I had some similar "fun" updating my NexStar firmware a few weeks ago and got the dreaded "008" message, "The telescope model could not be read", and others. I spent around 4 hours trying different things, worried that I'd "bricked" my scope.

I got some good notes from here: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/608409-wish-i-didnt-do-firmware/

What worked for me was connecting the handset in different ports on the mount. (I know, I know, I'm a computer techie and didn't think this could possibly be the solution, but in desperation I tried it and it worked). Trying updating using ports 1,2,3 all consistantly failed. Port 4 worked for some reason. Weird.

Good luck.

Oh, welcome aboard SGL 🙂