Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunt LS50THa B600PT

Freff

I  have been wanting to make a start in solar imaging for a while, and now have the opportunity to buy a new Lunt LS50THa B600PT .

What imagery and views can I expect from this scope, or will I need to spend £££s to get something other than a white disc. 

Any example images would be great. Many thanks.

Hello,

I'm a newbie to imaging (& processing), so with those caveats, here are some I've taken with a Lunt 50 B400.  (The white one is a deliberately maxed-out gain image).  These were all taken on an alt-az mount as far as I can remember - I think the data would have been better for processing on an EQ or solar-tracking mount (EDIT: the maxed out gain one was taken on an EQ).

If you haven't already bought it, you might want to check out what @Highburymarkis selling (a Lunt 60 for not much more than what the list price of a Lunt 50 B600 probably is) - I've noticed SGLers take a lot of amazing images  w a Lunt 60.

Cheers,

Vin

fullsizeoutput_1d6e.jpeg

Sun_200509_1340.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1d7a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1d78.jpeg

Edited by vineyard
  • Like 3

I can get images like this using a Coronado PST Tony so I'm sure you should be able to knock the spots of that quite easily. 🙂 What camera will you be using to capture?

101302410_SunHaFullDisc4-4-20.thumb.jpg.27f9d4f0f773e1e15733820e5505507f.jpg

395547407_Sun3xHa.jpg.7473cb1682931a4766af27426de17047.jpg

07A.thumb.jpeg.3871cc6ef342ba4ffa5353bddfab44e4.jpeg

589079836_StarStaX_1105-1149_darkenwaveletscolour.thumb.jpeg.979fcc1cffa690fb5e99a49b7bc76605.jpeg

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, vineyard said:

Hello,

I'm a newbie to imaging (& processing), so with those caveats, here are some I've taken with a Lunt 50 B400.  (The white one is a deliberately maxed-out gain image).  These were all taken on an alt-az mount as far as I can remember - I think the data would have been better for processing on an EQ or solar-tracking mount (EDIT: the maxed out gain one was taken on an EQ).

If you haven't already bought it, you might want to check out what @Highburymarkis selling (a Lunt 60 for not much more than what the list price of a Lunt 50 B600 probably is) - I've noticed SGLers take a lot of amazing images  w a Lunt 60.

Cheers,

Vin

Vin.. Thanks for the info , the images help a lot. 

Tich how are you keeping well I hope. As for cameras I have 2x DSLRs and my main one the ZWO1600MC

Edited by Freff
Save space

55 minutes ago, Freff said:

I  have been wanting to make a start in solar imaging for a while, and now have the opportunity to buy a new Lunt LS50THa B600PT .

What imagery and views can I expect from this scope, or will I need to spend £££s to get something other than a white disc. 

Any example images would be great. Many thanks.

Have you thought about a second hand 60mm Lunt for the same price roughly as a new 50mm? I added a double stack unit a year later both second hand. Cost £1950 in all second hand instead of £5000.

20200525-1247UTeb.thumb.png.562aad583500f3e3aedb1a0beed87e43.png

20200521-1157UTeb.thumb.png.1383c85fcbdb820763e7a523d32aa43c.png

Edited by Nigella Bryant
  • Like 2

Hi Tony still plodding on here mate I hope you are all well to?
You'll be better off with mono camera I use a DMK41 which I bought from Helen a while back or if I'm using the iMAC I use a pointgrey grasshopper camera, one thing you might suffer with is Newtons rings on the images especially if you're using a CMOS camera as they are a little more prone to suffering so you may need a tilt adapter. Colour cameras do work but the red can swamp the sensor so mono's are better if possible.

10 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Have you thought about a second hand 60mm Lunt for the same price roughly as a new 50mm? I added a double stack unit a year later both second hand. Cost £1950 in all second hand instead of £5000.

Sounds like a great deal you had, did you have a deal for me in mind. 

15 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I see there's one for £2500 double stack, may be worth investigating.

Thanks for the heads up. I think it is a bit over my budget for a solar starter scope.

I was looking at this one. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/lunt-solar-50mm-h-alpha-telescopes/lunt-ls50tha-h-alpha-solar-telescope.html

Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks.

7 hours ago, Freff said:

Thanks for the heads up. I think it is a bit over my budget for a solar starter scope.

I was looking at this one. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/lunt-solar-50mm-h-alpha-telescopes/lunt-ls50tha-h-alpha-solar-telescope.html

Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks.

Hi, I had a 35mm Lunt several years ago and visually showed surface and prom details but the helical focuser was a pain so I moved up to the 60mm Lunt. Especially if you want eventually to image. Better to get the one with a Cranford or feather touch focuser. Also with those it's easier to add an electronic focus in the future. As astronomical equipment looses so much when you sell them and move up to something else I tend to go second hand. At the end of the day the 50mm is a good starter but not so much can be done with it. The double stack unit is another plus £1100. And double stack is when hydrogen alpha telescope's really kick off.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your thoughts and recommendations.

After a lot of soul searching and research, I decided to buy this setup complete except the USB Pressure Tuner. 

I'm sure I will get a lot from this scope, including a big learning curve. 

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Freff said:

Thank you all for your thoughts and recommendations.

After a lot of soul searching and research, I decided to buy this setup complete except the USB Pressure Tuner. 

I'm sure I will get a lot from this scope, including a big learning curve. 

Thanks again.

Brilliant, I'm sure you won't regret it.

• 1 year later...

Vineyard I,m looking to get into Solar imaging and can get a Lunt LS50 Tha but with a 400 filter , I also would use the DMK 41 Mono camera . How have you gained focus on your unit ? Have you put a Baader click unit straight onto the diagonal?

any assistance appreciated.