SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What new eyepiece

Helio , I would opt for something in the 12mm to 15 mm range for DSO. And a higher magnification eyepiece around the 6mm to 7mm for Luna and planetary targets. A good eyepiece with great reviews are the BST Starguders, very sensible money new and great value on second hand .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LeeHore7 said:

Thank you guys I was thinking in around the 6 to 7mm range, how would these work with the barlow or would they be to blurred 

Techically your scope should go up to mag x260 so a 7mm barlowed would work but imho you are pushing it to the maximum. Technical magnifications and reality don't always go together. My first scope was the same as yours and when I barlowed a 7mm x-cel in the same I found the view had suffered a little at this magnification but was still ok. Inexperience at that time led me to expect more than was realistic if I am honest though.

130*F5 = 650. 650/3.5 = mag x185. On a good night with good seeing conditions though should give nice planetary views and also be useful on planetary nebula.

A 6 barlowed giving near time 220 I think might be too much for the scope but again, my opinion only. 

An 8mm BST barlowed is giving x162 which would give a slightly smaller but better resolved view.

See below for both 7 & 8 mm eyepieces barlowed on Jupiter. The difference at the eyepiece as you can see will not be significant.

I am sure others will have their own thoughts on this. Personally I think the 8mm will be a more usefull addition and basically replace the 10mm which you may already have found is not the best. 

m13.jpg.afd42b09b1319e92a9d2c5409af05853.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Techically your scope should go up to mag x260 so a 7mm barlowed would work but imho you are pushing it to the maximum. Technical magnifications and reality don't always go together. My first scope was the same as yours and when I barlowed a 7mm x-cel in the same I found the view had suffered a little at this magnification but was still ok. Inexperience at that time led me to expect more than was realistic if I am honest though.

130*F5 = 650. 650/3.5 = mag x185. On a good night with good seeing conditions though should give nice planetary views and also be useful on planetary nebula.

A 6 barlowed giving near time 220 I think might be too much for the scope but again, my opinion only. 

An 8mm BST barlowed is giving x162 which would give a slightly smaller but better resolved view.

See below for both 7 & 8 mm eyepieces barlowed on Jupiter. The difference at the eyepiece as you can see will not be significant.

I am sure others will have their own thoughts on this. Personally I think the 8mm will be a more usefull addition and basically replace the 10mm which you may already have found is not the best. 

m13.jpg.afd42b09b1319e92a9d2c5409af05853.jpg

Hi

Thank you for your reply, I like the idea of the 8mm or 7.5mm as to replace the 10mm which as you say is not the best one to use and gives Jupiter a over exposed look. Where do you get the ep software that shows the fields of view as views as it looks very useful 

17 minutes ago, LeeHore7 said:

Hi

Thank you for your reply, I like the idea of the 8mm or 7.5mm as to replace the 10mm which as you say is not the best one to use and gives Jupiter a over exposed look. Where do you get the ep software that shows the fields of view as views as it looks very useful 

Bottom of this page

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bst-starguider-eyepieces/bst-starguider-60-32mm-ed-eyepiece.html

2 minutes ago, LeeHore7 said:

Hi

Thank you it looks a great piece of software to look for ep much appreciated. 

Clear skies 

Oh and just a quick heads up, the 8mm BST is reputedly there best eyepiece from the range from what I remember reading although as i haven't used one in this size I cannot confirm that to be the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bomberbaz said:

Oh and just a quick heads up, the 8mm BST is reputedly there best eyepiece from the range from what I remember reading although as i haven't used one in this size I cannot confirm that to be the case.

The 8mm feels like a decent performer. I've used mine in 130/650, 203/1200 & 150/750 newtonians, a 120/600 refractor and a 102/1300 Maksutov.

As you mentioned above bomberbaz, it replaces the 10mm stock eyepiece. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...