SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Affinity Photo half price promo ends 20th June

tomato

Just a heads up that this promotion is ending soon. I purchased the software on the back of Nik Szymanek’s StarGaZine talk and his Astronomy Now articles, and have been impressed, pretty much the functionality of PS but for a fraction of the cost.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, tomato said:

Just a heads up that this promotion is ending soon. I purchased the software on the back of Nik Szymanek’s StarGaZine talk and his Astronomy Now articles, and have been impressed, pretty much the functionality of PS but for a fraction of the cost.

likewise I bought it also a steal at the price

Thanks @tomato.

I've just gone for it.   That's a fair price for what it does.  I'm not overly keen on the Photoshop CC payment schedule.   This could be the 'alternative' I have been looking for.

I'll run the two packages alongside each other with my next captures to see how different the results are...if any ??

Hopefully in time, those clever IT folk out there in the  cyber world will write plug-ins that replicate the ones available for PS. 

Cheers,

sean.

6 minutes ago, Craney said:

Thanks @tomato.

I've just gone for it.   That's a fair price for what it does.  I'm not overly keen on the Photoshop CC payment schedule.   This could be the 'alternative' I have been looking for.

I'll run the two packages alongside each other with my next captures to see how different the results are...if any ??

Hopefully in time, those clever IT folk out there in the  cyber world will write plug-ins that replicate the ones available for PS. 

Cheers,

sean.

If the plugins are .8bf then they might work for example Hasta la vista works HLVG Astro flat Pro as well

Edited by fozzybear

7 minutes ago, Craney said:

Thanks @tomato.

Cheers,

sean.

Thats my only concern with Affinity, have had it for ages but still no support for ICO files or Nvidia plugins for game design so have to keep my old PS CS6 on standby. I do think it offers far more though than my copy of PS did and it can open my DSLR RAW files too.

Alan

1 minute ago, fozzybear said:

If the plugins are .8bf then they might work for example Hasta la vista works HLVG

I saw on AstroStace's  Youtube video that  HLVG and NIKcollection will work,  don't know about Gradient Exterminator ( that would be useful),    but I get the feeling that Annies AstroActions and the Noel Carboni  (Astronomy Tools ??) stuff  may not.

BTW   what does  .8bf  stand for  ??    (sorry, I'm a bit behind on the technical stuff)

sean.

1 minute ago, Craney said:

I saw on AstroStace's  Youtube video that  HLVG and NIKcollection will work,  don't know about Gradient Exterminator ( that would be useful),    but I get the feeling that Annies AstroActions and the Noel Carboni  (Astronomy Tools ??) stuff  may not.

BTW   what does  .8bf  stand for  ??    (sorry, I'm a bit behind on the technical stuff)

sean.

It's the file extension example   Hvlg.8bf is the file for Hasta la vista

8bf file extension normally hold Adobe filter plug-in files. ... Adobe applications use plug-ins to provide added functionality for an associated Adobe software application. The plug-ins are often used to enable third-party features or to reduce the size of an application

• Like 1

I'm going to see what else is on Nik's YT channel to use the app more to see how it compares to Paintshop Pro (that as well at times very reduced price) though the affinity price is very good today. I've also got GIMP installed.

Just thought I'd try the stacking function to create a star trail image (seen on the video link) even using jpgs it struggled to cope and ate all machine resources, I'll see what I can pull from the image as it needs work. i5 but 8gb ram plus 2gb one graphic card so not a slouch really.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Just thought I'd try the stacking function to create a star trail image (seen on the video link) even using jpgs it struggled to cope and ate all machine resources, I'll see what I can pull from the image as it needs work. i5 but 8gb ram plus 2gb one graphic card so not a slouch really.

I have noticed that Affinity is not as resource efficient as PS with some tasks, had my lappy sweating a few times..

Alan