Narrowband

Eyepiece advice for Skyliner 200p

Hello.

I've had my Skywatcher Skyliner 200p (which is my first scope) for about a month now, and have already upgraded the 10mm eyepiece supplied with the telescope with a 8mm and 12mm BST Starguider. I've been very impressed with both these eyepeices and even as a beginner I can see the difference in quality between these and the supplied 10mm.

I'm now keen to upgrade on the 25mm, but I've heard the 25mm BST isn't as good as the others in the range . I have a limited budget (about £50), and having done some research have narrowed it down to the following eyepieces:

- GSO 32mm plossl

- Vixen NPL 30mm

- Celestron Omni 32mm

- BST Starguider 25mm

What are your thoughts as to which would be most suitable for my scope? Are there any good alternatives to the above? 

Thanks in advance

Dafydd

Of those I think I would go for the Vixen 30mm NPL because I like it's ergonomics.

There is not a lot between any of them though, even the BST 25 is not too bad in an F/6 scope like yours.

I think I've owned all of them at one time or another :rolleyes2:

The GSO/Revelation Plossl 32mm is quite good as well.  However, I've never looked through a Vixen NPL, so it might be better as @John suggests above.  The BST Starguider 25mm is good over the inner 30 degrees, gradually degrading to the edges.  The Meade HD-60 25mm is better, but discontinued and more expensive.

If you could double your budget, the 35mm Aero ED is quite nice and takes advantage of your 2" focuser to max out your true field of view.

Thanks for the replies. I will get a 2'' eyepiece eventually, but want to keep things simple and just buy 1.25'' eyepieces for now, to avoid having to change adapters and so on. (I'm a complete beginner).

I was swaying towards the vixen anyway. But will the true field of view be noticeably smaller in the vixen compared to the gso? 

If my understanding is correct, gso has a 52 degree afov and fl 32mm, giving it true field of view of 1.39 degree in my scope.

Whereas the vixen has a 50 degree afov and a fl of 30mm, giving it a true fov 1.25?

Is this correct, and would it be noticeable on practice?(please forgive me if this is all wrong, I am new to all this!🙈)