Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eclipse glasses filter material

I will be cautious and say "No!" and buy a sheet of solar safety film ...and make a few spare ones
...and if you have any form of RDF remove it! ...or make a filter for that too.

Edited by Philip R

I would not recommend doing this. I had a work colleague whose Daughter went to observe the total eclipse in Africa and the organisers gave out solar glasses. They were not the best quality which resulted in her 'burning' the retina causing blindness. 

Quality solar sheets are not that expensive so I would not take the risk.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Hertford Stargazer said:

I was wondering, would it be ok to use the filter material from eclipse glasses to filter a finder scope. I was thinking of using a lens cap with a central hole of about 15 mm covered by said filter material.

Thanks

Thats a big no! Your finderscope will concentrate any IR or UV light getting through the film.

A sheet of Baader solar film is less than £20. Do you really value your eyesight less than that?

.... if it’s “only” a chunk of Silicon looking then should be OK. Always be sure of what you’re using and make sure it’s not damaged. With a small aperture you might be able to glue an ND (or two) Filters to the front, with a camera doesn’t matter if you’ve got 50th/sec or 1000th/sec. for imaging I want the shortest exposure (brightest image) to freeze the seeing. 
for visual use you want to take all the usual precautions.

peter

10 hours ago, Hertford Stargazer said:

Thanks for the replies, I should of mentioned that I wouldn't be looking through the finder. Its an Orion FS intended as a mini guide scope so it's fitted with a cheap planetary cam

If it would cost more than £20 to replace the camera then you'd be better off with a sheet of solar film.

3 hours ago, John said:

Economy measures and solar observation are not a sensible mix IMHO.

Thanks for the reply's everyone.

It wasn't an economy lead question, more of a curiosity and the urge for some astro DIY. I wouldn't risk my eyesight but would take a risk on a cam. I have a pre-made white light filter which fits my 102mm refactor with the drew shield removed, I use it for mercury transits ect. My curiosity was lead by the natural colour view through eclipse glasses and the same of my Lunt solar 6x binoculars. My next question was regarding exactly that, the Lunt solar binoculars are sold as white light but have an entirely different coloured view compared to a film/foil WL filter, I was wondering why? Am I right in thinking it's just a coloured filter layer to offer the view people would expect?

I intend to purchase a HA scope or Quark in the future, but can't justify (to my wife) the outlay just at the moment.