Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NAKED EYE COMET IN N HEMISHERE IN EARLY JULY?

I've always taken predictions about comets with a very large pinch of salt after the infamous Kahoutek back in 73/74 which was meant to be 'comet of the century'. Although it did get quite bright for a very short time, it was not well-placed for northern hemisphere observers and faded rapidly. It never achieved the mag. -10 predicted... I had to wait until the late 90s to see a decent well-placed comet. 

https://www.space.com/comet-kohoutek-flop-of-the-century.html

• Like 3

Oh gosh, hwga, I know we are not supposed to be superstitious but , ,
if I add it to my Stellarium now will that put a hex* upon it ?

I think we all should not enter it into our databases*, nor mention its name, until we can see it unaided in our sky. I dont think I can take much more excitement after those last two :(

* d'ya see what I did there ?

I've only just noticed the typo in the topic title :
IN N HEMISHERE
I hope it is still fullyhere when it gets here !

Meanwhile I have risked the wrath of the disintegrating gods and played with views in Stellarium.
First up is a 4am view of where it is now for south England (bottom right beside Beetlejuice) with a predicted (hopeful !) path into July.
Then it swings past the sun and gets above our morning horizon early July. (I think ! but sometimes I get confused while Stelling)

At 3am on 6July it looks like the 2nd pic with a predicted horizon graze for the rest of July.

Thanks @paulastro for the heads-up.

Neo4am17June.jpg

Neo3am6July.png

Edited by Corncrake

5 minutes ago, JordanTaylor1111 said:

Whats the name of this comet please? - Cannot find it via those links...

Comet NEOWISE F3, not currently visible the UK or N hemisphere in general.

It's presently visible in imagery from orbiting observatories, here is another thread: 

Fingers crossed. I'm lucky enough to remember Hale bopp back in the 90's.. just waiting for another like that!. That was a true naked eye comet

Edited by Rob
typo