Narrowband

First light with solar scope and first sun image!

simmo39

Hi all, this is my first post on the light side, As it was getting to hard to do DSO stuff this time of the year i forced myself to buy a Daystar solar scout to dip my toe into the solar water! Here is my first image, not great by the standards set on the site but im happy that i managed to get the scope to work for me. Any hints and tips would be welcome,

50004915966_0682612161_b.jpg

• Like 7

I’m new to this too! 
Great image! 
what camera did you use? 
also, a question about the scope.

I have a certain amount of image shift when rotating the helical focuser. How does your scope perform? 
cheers and thanks for sharing 

Bryan

Edited by assouptro

6 minutes ago, assouptro said:

I’m new to this too! 
Great image! 
what camera did you use? 
also, a question about the scope.

I have a certain amount of image shift when rotating the helical focuser. How does your scope perform? 
cheers and thanks for sharing 

Bryan

Hi Bryan, Thank you.  I used an ASI 120 mm Its normally my guide scope camera. I think the pixal size is a little large for my set up so will iget a ASI 178mm when I can scrape some spare cash together.  I have a little image shift but found it hard to get good focus with the helical focuser, im looking into getting it motor driven as I think that will help. The scope its self im impressed with although i need to sort out the mounting of the camera as i could only get focus with the tip of the nose piece just in the clamp. I think i need some more time learnig how to proccess solar images, Its a lot different to DSO stuff.

10 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

Hi Bryan, Thank you.  I used an ASI 120 mm Its normally my guide scope camera. I think the pixal size is a little large for my set up so will iget a ASI 178mm when I can scrape some spare cash together.  I have a little image shift but found it hard to get good focus with the helical focuser, im looking into getting it motor driven as I think that will help. The scope its self im impressed with although i need to sort out the mounting of the camera as i could only get focus with the tip of the nose piece just in the clamp. I think i need some more time learnig how to proccess solar images, Its a lot different to DSO stuff.

I agree some sort of electronic focuser would be really useful, I am pondering that too. And it is a totally different ball game to DSO imaging. 
I ended up using my Atik 314l+ and Fits files (that was slow!) then converting the best fits to an avi in Pipp before processing. 
I have a camera on its way, I’m not totally convinced it’s suitable but it was a good price on ukabs. It’s a brand I’ve never come across it’s a Point grey Blackfly usb3, it apparently has the same Sony chip as the zwo asi 174 so we’ll see!

30 minutes ago, assouptro said:

I agree some sort of electronic focuser would be really useful, I am pondering that too. And it is a totally different ball game to DSO imaging. 
I ended up using my Atik 314l+ and Fits files (that was slow!) then converting the best fits to an avi in Pipp before processing. 
I have a camera on its way, I’m not totally convinced it’s suitable but it was a good price on ukabs. It’s a brand I’ve never come across it’s a Point grey Blackfly usb3, it apparently has the same Sony chip as the zwo asi 174 so we’ll see!

I will have to look into that camera, thanks for the pointer.

30 minutes ago, assouptro said:

An excellent camera.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Wel done, brilliant first image. You might like to try ImPPG software for solar post stacking software. I use it al the time after stacking in autostakker 3. This is using ImPPG and a Lunt 60mm DS single stacked image.

20200518-1356UTebcol.thumb.png.9cd699b92759fa53544614615dd97af5~2.png

That looks so good, I have got imppg and have just watched a tutorial about it. I will give it ago tomorrow and see what i get. thanks for the pointers,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...