Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Replacement Quark

astro_al

58 minutes ago, astro_al said:

From reading posts on SolarChat it looks like Rupert at Astrograph used to check each Quark before sending it out to a customer. Astrograph now only appear to stock Solar Spectrum products though, which are a lot more expensive.

IIRC Daystar weren't that keen on the idea but they can't be bothered to test them and seem to think it's fine for customers to return them.

Unfortunately the only real test it to look at the Sun which could make testing a bit tricky in the UK.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to open this topic again, but from my own experience if you buy a new Quark I would strongly suggest testing It as soon as you can after receiving it.  Daystar’s quality control appears to be non existent and the one I received (a chromosphere version from a well known and usually reputable UK dealer) was dreadful - only about one third of the field of view had any clarity at all (and was actually quite good) and the rest complete mush.  Problem appears to be something seriously wrong with the internal etalon.   The Quark has now disappeared into their warranty claim system and in the meantime I’ve acquired a double stacked Lunt LS50THa which is a delight to use.

Sorry to hear that your experience mirrors my own. I have been missing my Ha viewing since my Quarks went back. Great customer service from FLO but I won't ever try another. If I have the funds at some point I will probably get either a front-mounted etalon or a dedicated Lunt scope.

No solar scope is risk free. There are Lunts and Coronados that are well below the standard you should expect after paying thousands. Quarks are just more of a risk, because they are produced from mica that didn’t make the grade for Daystar’s more expensive filters, and every mica example is unique.
The really difficult thing to swallow is that some examples are absolutely superb, providing narrowband 0.3A views that equal the performance of instruments costing many thousands more. It’s a lottery. Below Quarks there’s the cheaper Solar Scout 60mm range. The limited feedback so far is that the quality is even more variable (because they use mica that didn’t make Quark grade? I don’t know). But from a customer perspective, it hardly builds confidence, particularly when most of those customers are buying their first solar set up, and may have saved up for some considerable time to do so. However, as I said, although the other solar brands have a reputation for greater consistency, you still have no guarantee that you’re going to get a good one - still less a great one. Meade/Coronado’s reputation for customer service is pretty poor, and although I’ve been happy with the two Lunt scopes I’ve owned, I know that Brian (Solar B on this thread), has had a different experience.
With our relatively tight consumer protection laws, it seems odd that the market for solar filters has developed in such a way. But we have to remember that just a generation ago, solar ha technology was unaffordable to all but the richest enthusiasts. IF we want the manufacturers to test every etalon and guarantee quality/bandwidth, and then bin the rest, we’d have to pay for it. The only thing you can do is buy from a reputable dealer, and if you’re not happy, send it back. And again, and again if necessary. Or buy secondhand and try before you buy. It’s well worth travelling if necessary to try the scope out for yourself, and ensure you’re getting a ‘keeper’.
And once you get a keeper, you keep it!

• Like 2