Narrowband

Removing and maintaining a retractable aluminium dew shield

Hi All

The the aluminium dew shield on my ageing Meade 5000 127mm Apo has developed a less than smooth final 10mm of retraction. As I keep it in its travel case between sessions I need to fully retract the shield to fit it in. I believe it is held and locked in place by the blue ring at its base and some internal clip. I have been unable to find any details regarding removing said dew shield. I thought I would ask here for advice before I give it my usual plucky "I don't know what I'm doing but I might as well give it a go" approach. I'm just a tad wary as the dew shield is a bit close to the Objective Cell which was collimated in the factory and cannot be re- adjusted (no collimation screws).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks George

The dew shield probably screws onto the blue flange. If you can find a way to hold the flange steady you might be able to unscrew the dew shield and then you can get to the mechanism that holds the flange / dew shield in place on the tube. Probably a friction clamp / clip of some sort.

9 hours ago, John said:

The dew shield probably screws onto the blue flange. If you can find a way to hold the flange steady you might be able to unscrew the dew shield and then you can get to the mechanism that holds the flange / dew shield in place on the tube. Probably a friction clamp / clip of some sort.

Thank you John! I will give it a go. Very kind of you to take the time to give me advice. Much appreciated.

George

• Like 1