SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M31 Globulars

callisto

Not sure about a book but Sky Safari Pro has a lot of them in its database. The screen grab is set to magnitude +16. 
DF77BE7B-66C0-45EF-9777-A32DBD2F0FF1.thumb.png.da72f0f6f468bb6f7e3bee4a299b4929.png

I do love chasing down DSOs in other galaxies though I have only done with the SMC and LMC which are a fair bit closer!

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

Not sure about a book but Sky Safari Pro has a lot of them in its database. The screen grab is set to magnitude +16. 
DF77BE7B-66C0-45EF-9777-A32DBD2F0FF1.thumb.png.da72f0f6f468bb6f7e3bee4a299b4929.png

I do love chasing down DSOs in other galaxies though I have only done with the SMC and LMC which are a fair bit closer!

Hope this helps.

Cheers, thanks for that :)

Was thinking something you could use "in the field"

15 minutes ago, callisto said:

Cheers, thanks for that :)

Was thinking something you could use "in the field"

Its on my iPhone so definitely useable in the field.  You can even set the phone to have permanent red screen now so you do not harm night vision when first switching on the phone. I don't really use a paper star atlas in the field anymore since you could do that.

• Like 1

With regard to DSO's in other galaxies, the huge star forming region of nebulosity, NGC 604, in Messier 33 is reasonably straightforward to observe even with moderate aperture scopes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, John said:

With regard to DSO's in other galaxies, the huge star forming region of nebulosity, NGC 604, in Messier 33 is reasonably straightforward to observe even with moderate aperture scopes.

How is it, despite all the times I have viewed M33 I have never bothered to consider what that bright condensation is? Guess what I am doing next time M33 is in the eyepiece!

set to the same magnitude +16 limit, less than M31 but still a few for the dedicated to hunt down.

3B57CB00-AA58-4240-A5B9-7ED9BA6CC825.thumb.png.4e6a18bb609f08148b0563913844d5f1.png

• Like 4

12 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

You can even set the phone to have permanent red screen now so you do not harm night vision when first switching on the phone. 

How do you do this. Just tried looking on my iPhone 7 but couldn’t find that option....is it only on later models?

Worth bearing in mind that when looking for the really faint and elusive stuff, ANY light near your eyes (red or otherwise) will impair your ability to detect it. When I was looking for the Horsehead Nebula I needed to be dark adapted to a higher level than I have done before. I isolated myself from every form of light that I could for about an hour before try for the Horsehead and also observed faint objects to "limber up" as my eye got adapted. I turned my finder reticules off and just used the optical finder as well.

Extreme challenges need extreme methods !

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, John said:

Worth bearing in mind that when looking for the really faint and elusive stuff, ANY light near your eyes (red or otherwise) will impair your ability to detect it. When I was looking for the Horsehead Nebula I needed to be dark adapted to a higher level than I have done before. I isolated myself from every form of light that I could for about an hour before try for the Horsehead and also observed faint objects to "limber up" as my eye got adapted. I turned my finder reticules off and just used the optical finder as well.

Stephen James O'Meara is known to hyperventialte to enhance his low light senstivity.  I have contemplated wearing a eyepatch like a pirate (they are in this year!😉) over my observing eye when using either a torch and charts or apps on a phone to preserve my night vision.  Guess we all need to up our game.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, John said:

Totally agree John and wise advice but there’s nothing worse, when you have no choice but to refer to a phone, the home screen blinds you!  😀 Before you get to the red screened app you need 

Edited by Jiggy 67
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DirkSteele said:

Stephen James O'Meara is known to hyperventialte to enhance his low light senstivity.  I have contemplated wearing a eyepatch like a pirate (they are in this year!😉) over my observing eye when using either a torch and charts or apps on a phone to preserve my night vision.  Guess we all need to up our game.

I think if he's reached the point where he's hyperventilating in order to see faint objects more clearly it's time for him to look into electronic aided observing 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

d

On 11/06/2020 at 11:02, John said:

Its said that William Herschel was so paranoid about dark adaption that if he accidentally viewed so much as a 3rd magnitude star through his telescope he considered his dark adaption ruined.

• Like 1

On 11/06/2020 at 11:16, silentrunning said:

I did a little project a few years ago and identified on an image I took the globulers around M31 

bVVlycfwEtcA_1824x0_kWXURFLk.jpg

A great thread and a phenomenal image. But it looks like Andromeda’s globulars are more spread out than the Milky Way’s - is that correct? In comparison with this picture, our globulars are more concentrated around the central galactic core?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Highburymark said:

A great thread and a phenomenal image. But it looks like Andromeda’s globulars are more spread out than the Milky Way’s - is that correct? In comparison with this picture, our globulars are more concentrated around the central galactic core?

There may be many more than the ones I've noted in this image. Maybe  with fainter ones included they would begin to show a tighter clustering around the core. Also the spiral arms extend a long way further out than this image might indicate.

I love globs I have absolutely no idea how they form and how they remain so spherical and apart from the rather empty statement that the total angular momentum is zero it would appear that others have very little clue either. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, silentrunning said:

There may be many more than the ones I've noted in this image. Maybe  with fainter ones included they would begin to show a tighter clustering around the core. Also the spiral arms extend a long way further out than this image might indicate.

I love globs I have absolutely no idea how they form and how they remain so spherical and apart from the rather empty statement that the total angular momentum is zero it would appear that others have very little clue either. 

I agree John - to me they’re the most enigmatic objects we can see as amateur astronomers. 

• Like 1

I have to admit I have the same irrational fear of globular clusters as others do of clowns.

Everything about them defies my sense of "space" - they looks like a crowded mess that just shouldn't exist in a universe dominated by gravity. Agree with John's sentiment, they seem to be something that writers on astrophysics seem to gloss over when it comes to explaining how they came to be and more importantly, still are.

• Like 1