SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Updating firmware Celstron Handset problem

Hi folks,

I want to update the firmware on my Nexstar 925 GPS hands set. II am following the instructions on the Nexstar Resources Site https://www.nexstarsite.com/OddsNEnds/HCFirmwareUpgradeHowToVersion4.htm

I have connected my PC to the handset but when I follow the instruction to start by "Hold down the hand control's UNDO and INFO buttons at the same time and turn on the power to the scope.  Release the buttons and the hand control should now display "Transmit Data..." I get information about a star!

Not sure how to proceed.  I am finally getting around to try correcting the hand control wrong date issue!

3 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Is it a nexstar+ or a nexstar* handset?

I'm not sure what the NexStar* handset is  but I am pretty sure mine is one of the earlier ones, but can be updated.  The previous owner passed on the necessary connecting cable to me on purchase.  However when I follow the instructions to put it in programmable mode (Hold down the hand control's UNDO and INFO buttons at the same time and turn on the power to the scope)  I simple get Star information.  My kit is usable as there is a work around by editing the date during setup,  But it would be nice to have mastered doing the update.

It will say on the handset what it is

so this is a nexstar*, I've been told by celestron that you can only update the firmware on the handset, not the motor control module but by using the HCupdate software on a Windows 7 computer.. I have tried a Windows 8 and it doesn't seem to work.. also you need a version 4 or higher, so look in utilities for version and see what you have..

I've also been told by celestron that you can buy a nexstar+ handset and use the Cfm software on a Windows 10 machine .. this doesn't conflict with the mcm and it future proofs on Windows 10, as trying to find someone with Windows 7 is a nightmare 

20200512_090928.jpg

Yes that is my handset.  Sorry about the misunderstanding! 

I've installed the HCupdate software on my Windows 10 PC.  It runs fine on Windows 10 but you must go through the W10 compatibility  routine and designate Windows 7.

I have then followed the instructions from https://www.nexstarsite.com/OddsNEnds/HCFirmwareUpgradeHowToVersion4.htm up to the point where you are instructed to hold down the the INFO and  UNDO buttons as you switch on the power.

That's when it all goes wrong.  All I get is the information on, what I presume, is the first Star in the catalogue.

Edited by Geoffw
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Geoffw said:

Yes that is my handset.  Sorry about the misunderstanding! 

I've installed the HCupdate software on my Windows 10 PC.  It runs fine on Windows 10 but you must go through the W10 compatibility  routine and designate Windows 7.

I have then followed the instructions from https://www.nexstarsite.com/OddsNEnds/HCFirmwareUpgradeHowToVersion4.htm up to the point where you are instructed to hold down the the INFO and  UNDO buttons as you switch on the power.

That's when it all goes wrong.  All I get is the information on, what I presume, is the first Star in the catalogue.

Ok, thanks interesting...I shall try that with mine, if I work out how to backwards compatible the laptop..