Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flocking material

Rather than flocking my 10-inch OOUK Dob I'd intended painting it with Black 3.0.  However I've seen several results that have put me off.

I'm therefore after suggestions for which flocking material to use.

My hands don't work properly, so it must be extremely easy to apply.

The alternative would be to wait until the pandemic is over and pay someone to do it, which I may have to do anyway.

Thanks.

FLO sells the propper flocking at a reasonable price. I used it recently to flock a 10” dob. I used acetate sheet to make a liner for the dob then applied the flocking to the acetate sheet while it was lying flat on a table. Much neater job than applying it directly to the tube.

You would need two of the small sheets for a 10” dob.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/black-velour-telescope-flocking-material.html

DB55323A-141D-4DCC-A3FA-123135E02254.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

Hi I used the FLO  flocking omg it's sticky the biggest problem is as the scope is 1200 mm long it's hard to reach the middle section but got it done and very happy , I did do one telescope with black felt sheets from hobby craft they have sticky back and are A4 size they worked well was easier to fit due to there size 

1 hour ago, Second Time Around said:

....with Black 3.0.  However I've seen several results that have put me off.

Yes, I have been somewhat underwhelmed by the results.

I painted the inside of my metallic SCT dewshield with the Black 3.0  ( primed with Black 2.0  as recommended ).

Before and after.

start.thumb.JPG.cf41c710e64618a4efffef32255cfdc8.JPG  1269504830_3end.thumb.JPG.ac77e52f1cd9457cb29392e9b9d8198a.JPG

Difficult to keep exposures exactly the same to make it a fair comparison.

In fact it seems to have dried with a lighter black than when applied, if that makes sense. 

I don't think it is any worse, but visually it does not resemble the yawning jaws of a Black Hole !! as the marketing leads you to believe.

I might try painting some flocking paper to see if the surface makes a difference to the end result.

Edited by Craney

Many thanks indeed for all the replies.

@John Inderby I like the idea of the acetate sheet as I don't think I'd be capable of doing a good job half way down the tube (thanks, Neil).  Could I trouble you for a link to suitable acetate sheet (I'm not even sure what it is)?  Thanks.

If I muck it up on the acetate sheet it wouldn't be the end of the world as the OTA would still be fine.  I could then wait until after lockdown to get someone to do it for me.

This is the sort of acetate sheet you would need. 400 micron is the right thickness. You would need to tape together the sheets to make one large enough to cover the full inside of the tube.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sheets-Clear-Plastic-Acetate-micron/dp/B006VYHPIY/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=acetate+sheets+a1&qid=1591788956&sr=8-2

Here’s a thread that shows the idea.

• Thanks 1

FWIW, i also have a full roll of ABM flock paper unused (costs around £40 from the supplier if memory serves me correctly)

@Neil H is correct in that getting the stuff on is tricky. But i only found it that way with the longer OO 1600mm tubes.

The 1200s are easier and can be done fairly easily in 2 pieces.

Heres an image of my 1600 (10" F6.3) with flocking 'half done' to give you an idea of what it does.

Personally, i would rather flock that paint / spray. Far less messy.

22850209384_c5b705a42c_b.jpg

Edited by Space Hopper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stardaze said:

I’ll follow this. How much of a contrast boost does flocking achieve? 

It mainly helps with stray light coming from the side. With the Bresser I wouldn’t bother flocking it as the rubberized anti reflection coating they use is very effecitive. I flocked mine but not a big difference so was a bit of a waste of time.

The Skywatcher has some thin paint on the inside that isn't very black and doesn’t do anything to stop light reflecting down the tube and will benefit from the flocking.

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Space Hopper said:

FWIW, i also have a full roll of ABM flock paper unused (costs around £40 from the supplier if memory serves me correctly)

@Neil H is correct in that getting the stuff on is tricky. But i only found it that way with the longer OO 1600mm tubes.

The 1200s are easier and can be done fairly easily in 2 pieces.

Heres an image of my 1600 (10" F6.3) with flocking 'half done' to give you an idea of what it does.

Personally, i would rather flock that paint / spray. Far less messy.

22850209384_c5b705a42c_b.jpg

If I had known I would had pop it up to you , sounds like you did yours length ways  , I did mine the hard way and still have a roll left lol 

Yes, i have an unused roll. I seem to remember it being 750mm wide which was annoying as it was just too short to flock the tube in 2 sections.

Looking at the abm site now, its only available in a 1340mm wide roll, so ideal for OO 1200mm scope tubes. Quite pricy stuff mind.

I have the smaller sized roll (750mm?) and perhaps ought to sell it on although i think i kept it for a future SCT project in mind..........😀

On 10/06/2020 at 12:40, johninderby said:

This is the sort of acetate sheet you would need. 400 micron is the right thickness. You would need to tape together the sheets to make one large enough to cover the full inside of the tube.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sheets-Clear-Plastic-Acetate-micron/dp/B006VYHPIY/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=acetate+sheets+a1&qid=1591788956&sr=8-2

Here’s a thread that shows the idea.

Would it be better to buy the acrylic sheet flat or rolled, John? Thanks.