SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astronomy sales during the pandemic!

When the country went into lockdown we feared sales would fall off a cliff. We were wrong. The opposite happened! Sales of astronomy telescopes and accessories have increased dramatically. More than at Christmas and more than at any other time in our company's fourteen year history. Increased sales are of course welcome but servicing them during a pandemic is a challenge. 

China have reopened but manufacturers are struggling with reduced staff and materials shortages. There are also less shipping channels available. 

We have our own warehouse/distribution-centre so source most products direct from manufacturers and communicate directly with them. This enables us to more easily source and manage stock and keep our customers updated. 

Where we cannot source direct we are doing our best to work with the manufacturers appointed distributor and support them where possible. They are experiencing high demand with reduced staff and limited supply so it is difficult for them to provide us the information on availability we and our customers need. This lack of information means we struggle to display reliable dispatch estimates on some of our product description pages. 

At FLO we don't simply list everything 'in stock' or 'usually in stock'. We have invested in a grown-up inventory system that is regularly updated. Prior to the pandemic this worked very well (it still does for most products we source direct) but it is only as good as the information available to us. During the pandemic, some of our product ETAs are little more than educated guesses based on information provided by a distributor. 

Later this month when our government eases the lockdown businesses will reopen (we hope) and remote workers will return to their workplace. Things will feel 'normal' but the problems we are experiencing - lack of materials, fewer shipping channels, product shortages and lack of information - will continue for some time. 

Indeed we expect things will become worse before they get better. Manufacturers and some distributors will struggle to catch up with demand. Already some shipments are selling out before they dock or have less stock in the containers than predicted. The next 2-3x months will not be fun, for us or our customers. 

Please be assured we are doing our best to manage the situation and to communicate reliable information. I.e. we are working overtime (late at night, early in the morning and on Sundays). We are employing more staff (a full-time person for our Helpdesk and another at our warehouse). And when available we are holding more stock at our warehouse, including large/heavy items normally drop-shipped by distributors. 

Thank-you for your patience and understanding during these extraordinary times and please accept our apologies if your order is delayed or our dispatch estimates change without notice. 

Steve & the FLO team. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 20

Thanks, Steve.  An excellent summary of the challenges being experienced by you and pretty well all operational retail outlets at the moment.  I'm sure (hope) the vast majority will be understanding and patient.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the detailed and honest explanation of the problems you are experiencing at present.

Not only are you explaining the current situation, you are telling us about the near future - assuming your crystal ball has good batteries.😁
This means you are thinking beyond this weeks issues.

A very good example of how to keep your customers on your side. Other retailers (not just astro) take note!

David.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Steve & All at FLO for the job done so far and the open and clear communication as above.
This typifies why I like to deal with you all.

Great news on parents buying telescopes for children, some will stick at it, Astronomy is given a shot in the arm for the future.
As to oncoming shortages or at best challenges, I think that is to be expected in the circumstances we find ourselves.

• Thanks 1

I seem to keep ordering, with more tube done shortly, and FLO have kept on delivering...

I really should step back and put it all in to one order to help FLO with packing and shipping.

goan yersels

• Thanks 1

Thank-you for your kind comments 🙂 

We continue to fulfil most orders in good time but when an order is delayed, the delay is often unexpected and eye-wateringly long.

A good example from today: We have a lot of customers waiting for Sky-Watcher Evostar 80ED Pro. Some have been waiting since April! We were expecting 38x to arrive today. We received....  One! 😖

Next delivery is 3-4x weeks away 😟

sky-watcher_evostar_80_ed_bundle.jpg

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, FLO said:

We continue to fulfil most orders in good time but when an order is delayed, the delay is often unexpected and eye-wateringly long.

A good example from today: We have a lot of customers waiting for Sky-Watcher Evostar 80ED Pro. Some have been waiting since April! We were expecting 38x to arrive today. We received....  One! 😖

sky-watcher_evostar_80_ed_bundle.jpg

At least you are not doing what  the supermarkets are and send a substitute that is nothing like what you ordered 🙂 

Steve

• Like 1

Let’s see my contribution during lockdown - 

Full set of 50mm unmounted filters, sesto senso v2, takahashi adapter, primalucelab spacers, 68mm OAG, Baader counterweight.

oh dear my wife did say she thinks I’ve got a compulsive spending disorder 😂

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Graham Darke said:

Hand sanitizer, toilet rolls and astronomy equipment, the three things most in demand during a global pandemic...

But not necessarily in that order 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

Let’s see my contribution during lockdown - 

Full set of 50mm unmounted filters, sesto senso v2, takahashi adapter, primalucelab spacers, 68mm OAG, Baader counterweight.

oh dear my wife did say she thinks I’ve got a compulsive spending disorder 😂

With approval of CFO:

CGX-L, RASA 8, SII,OIII, EFW 8, some dove tails

pier, telegizmos cover and more to follow 😀

Edited by iapa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, FLO said:

Glad I bought mine at the end of March, when Martin advised me there were only two left!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FLO said:

We have a lot of customers waiting for Sky-Watcher Evostar 80ED Pro. Some have been waiting since April! We were expecting 38x to arrive today. We received....  One! 😖

Have just learned it is a similar situation for Sky-Watcher Evostar 72ED Pro. Distributor says there were none on this shipment. Next shipment is arriving end-June / early-July 😳

This situation affects all astronomy retailers. We all source from the same distributor so are all waiting for the same ship to dock. 

sky-watcher_evostar_72ed_apo_1.jpg

Your not the only one.

Amateur radio has taken off as well and I understand most dealers are very busy.

Been waiting for a portable hamradio transceiver that was supposed to arrive by now but been put back a few months.

Now the EvoGuide 50ED. Ordered 65x but are receiving only 5x. Imagine the conversations we must now have with our customers. Some have been waiting since April 🥺

I don't want to be negative and I hate posting bad news. I only want to provide a snapshot of the situation that affects all Sky-Watcher dealers. We source from the same distributor so are all waiting for the same boats to dock. 

skywatcher_evoguide_50ed_guidescope.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, FLO said:

Now the EvoGuide 50ED. Ordered 65x but are receiving only 5x. Imagine the conversations we must now have with our customers. Some have been waiting since April 🥺

I don't want to be negative and I hate posting bad news. I only want to provide a snapshot of the situation that affects all Sky-Watcher dealers. We source from the same distributor so are all waiting for the same boats to dock. 

skywatcher_evoguide_50ed_guidescope.jpg

😭😭😭