Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

MimasDeathStar

Flextube 150p. Is this a new scope

Yes, it looks like a new model. Interesting scope. The 130 Heritage has been a great hit so why not a 150 ?

Pretty sure I would have bought that a year or two ago if it had been around.  If it can deliver the views required it seems a great balance of price and size/weight/storage and I could see a lot of sales of that as a 2nd scope.  I've always been unsure about the flextube but people seem very happy with the 130.

I see they have used a 3 vane secondary support on this new model. Can't see it in the photo but presumably the same helical focuser.

It would make a great scope to have on holiday under dark skies :smiley:

Looks a pretty interesting scope, especially for travel

Looks very good for a travel scope at just 7.5kg. Just wondering why they didn't increase the focal length to make it a bit of an all rounder.

Yes it is a new model and its on sale through - https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/skywatcher-heritage-150p.html#SID=54

I imagine it will go on the @FLO website shortly.

I use the Heritage 130P quite often as a quick grab and go - its a brilliant little scope although I have undertaken a lot of modifications. The Helical focuser is not the best but you can improve it. If I did not have the Heritage 130P and a Skywatcher 150P Newt I would buy one.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I imagine it will go on the @FLO website shortly.

It will 🙂 

We have LOTS arriving at our warehouse later this week. (At least I hope we have, it is difficult to be certain of anything during this pandemic). 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bomberbaz said:

Looks very good for a travel scope at just 7.5kg. Just wondering why they didn't increase the focal length to make it a bit of an all rounder.

I guess the single arm dob mount will have it's limitations re: tube length.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, John said:

I guess the single arm dob mount will have it's limitations re: tube length.

hahaha, I didn't actually notice that John. 😳😆

Yes a new scope, looks very interesting indeed.
I love the 150 mm f5 scopes, very capable even if not a refractor 😉

I would ponder one as a travel set up for my camper van.

Skywatcher Heritage 150P Flex Tube Dobsonian Telescope

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I would ponder one as a travel set up for my camper van.

Skywatcher Heritage 150P Flex Tube Dobsonian Telescope

Yes I agree Alan. I often take my Heritage 130P on the Canal Boat for the same reason.

• Like 1

Looks nice! Ideal as a travel scope. Would be nice if they knocked a few quid off and supplied it just as the OTA, that’s how I would use it, just like my 130P

Loved having a tabletop scope for holidays when I owned a Meade etx. Never had to stuff a tripod on the morning of travel into already bulging luggage, carefully packed the night before by Mrs HM -  something I make a habit of these days. This looks like an ideal option - and a nice aperture too.

That would be good on an AZ4, I particularly like the same form factor as the 130 with the collapsing tube, great for transporting about.

Tempting grab n go for spur of the moment drives to somewhere darker.

Ive been thinking of buying the 130 for a while now this turns up ;-),  Im assuming the primary can be collimated on these and I would be interested on seeing the focuser, is it the same as the 130?

Mark

I had ordered a 130P back in May as my first scope but was having to wait for it to appear in stock. They still aren't in stock from where I ordered and they've offered up the 150P as an alternative, good timing I think, for the sake of an extra £50.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I had ordered a 130P back in May as my first scope but was having to wait for it to appear in stock. They still aren't in stock from where I ordered and they've offered up the 150P as an alternative, good timing I think, for the sake of an extra £50.

My thoughts are you will get far better results with the 150 and also find it a little easier to use.

Good first scope too that should keep you going for a good while. 

Ah! I've just started a new thread on this. Should have searched first. 

Has anyone got one of these yet?

Also, is there anything we could easily use as a shroud?

Edited by sputniksteve

On 09/06/2020 at 15:36, Stu said:

Looks nice! Ideal as a travel scope. Would be nice if they knocked a few quid off and supplied it just as the OTA, that’s how I would use it, just like my 130P

Yes!! 👍  Me too.

45% more light 😏 tempting as a travel scope, which is what i got my 130p for.  Defo would have bought this... the 130p is great bang for buck it has to be said - it's an elegant design.  I like the extra spider vanes on the 150p.  Ideally the focusser board would be a little stiffer too.

Just ordered one - can't wait! I live in Edinburgh so have the combination of overcast sky's and light pollution to contend with. Would have loved something bigger but portability is the most important thing for me. This looks ideal for putting into the back of the car and taking advantage of any clear winter night sky's - 20 minutes to the Pentlands or maybe even an occasional jaunt down to Galloway.

• Like 1