SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

binoculars dilemma

I want some Canon IS binoculars for stargazing.  I have some Nikon 8x30 Monarch 7 I enjoy for out in the field birdwatching and stuff so if I were to go for the 12x36 I S, I think that might make the Nikons redundant and I bought them less than a year ago so that would be annoying but not the end of the world.  The 15x50 IS are like 50% more expensive and £899 is an awful lot of money for a binocular but I could save up, sell a few bits and stretch to it.  I know the 12x36 are fantastic I have used them before out birding and loved them to bits.  I could far more easily afford the 12x36 (especially if I sell the Nikons which would be basically redundant).  So the question is, are the 15x50 much better for general astronomy?  I have owned 15x70 bins but they required a tripod and I have a 127 mak if I want to start with tripods.  The joy of binoculars is the freedom to handhold.  Leaving aside the element of cost I can choose to sell the Nikons and buy the 12x36, an all round compromise I can take out birding and use on the night sky, or I can keep the Nikons for field use and break the bank for the 15x50.    Are the 15x50 worth paying twice as much for as the 12x36?  (would cost me twice as much because I'd sell the nikons to get the 12x36).   I hope someone has experience of the 15x50's?

Thanks everyone

Dave

Edited by davekelley
typo

Just looking at the 15x50 or 12x36 aspect of the two binoculars in question, they are certainly unusual in terms of common binocular specs for astronomy use.  In Astronomy aperture is very important unless you're only interested in the brightest objects (e.g. planets, bright stars).  It's the IS component of the binoculars that appears to be adding about £500, an expensive luxury considering that a basic telescope could be had for half that cost and would show a heck of a lot more than either of those binoculars could.

However, if binoculars are your thing and you are willing to spend the money... I'm just not sure that 15x magnification would be that useful for astronomy without the 70 aperture to match (e.g. from 15x70 binoculars).  It may work fine for daytime viewing as there's the light available to pick out the details, different kettle of fish in the dark.

A cheaper option?  Rest the 15x70 binoculars on an upturned broom.  Or how about this for steady binocular use?  http://www.astro-tom.com/projects/binomount/binocular_mount.htm

Edited by jonathan

I have had a pair of 15x50IS Canons before for a few years and really enjoyed them for both daytime and astro use.

To me, the stabilisation adds effective aperture because everything is so much easier to see when steady. I have always been of the view that if I’m going to the trouble of putting a tripod out, I may as well use a scope, so binos are a hand held or nothing thing for me. That’s where these really come into their own.

I saw plenty with them, including M1 from a dark site if I recall correctly, and trawling the MilkyWay for the likes of M8 and M20 etc is great.

The stabilisation works very well at damping out higher frequency jitters such as from your heart beat or just general shakes. You end up often with the objects gently ‘swimming’ around in the field of view, although if you are very steady (Or rest on something) then this effect goes away too. Either way, it is very effective and much clearer than just handholding.

I would buy another pair if I had the spare cash.

I meant to add that I also fitted filters to the objectives, a UHC and an OIII, both 2” which helped when viewing nebulae. You need a couple a step down rings to get these to fit.

Oh, and another thing. You can get Canon lens cap which fit, the binos don’t come with them which is a little off given the price.

• 1 month later...

Well after much agonising and being unable to try out either pair of bins due to no stores locally carrying them in stock, I bit the bullet and ordered a pair of the 12x36.  What will now become of my Nikon Monarch 7 8x30's remains to be seen.  I will post further after I've had a play with the 12x36 is iii.  I'm quite excited waiting for them to come  :D