SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which Herschel Wedge

Portech7

I have the Lacerta and I find it good as an imager , if fact i managed to get the spot last night  with the ED80.

I must say I'm a bit out of practice with WL.

I have not had a chance to compare with any others .

What I do know is with the 2" version you need a goooooood bit of back focus.

• Like 1

The Lacerta 2" heat sink does indeed get hot when fed by a 180mm 7" refractor for several hours.

I have burnt my hand [only briefly] through carelessness, but as already stated, there is no [hot] exit beam like the old fashioned wedges.

P1370308 rsz.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Thanks for those drawings John, that looks like the 1.25" version in your photos. 

I avoided that one as I disliked the fact that the ND3 wasn't permanently installed in the wedge like it is in the 2" version and in the Lunt.  Relying on me remembering to attach an ND3 to the end of the eyepiece was just asking for yours truly to make a terrible and irreversible mistake.

2 hours ago, Ibbo! said:

I have the Lacerta and I find it good as an imager , if fact i managed to get the spot last night  with the ED80.

I must say I'm a bit out of practice with WL.

I have not had a chance to compare with any others .

What I do know is with the 2" version you need a goooooood bit of back focus.

Yes it does Steve.  I think I have about 0.5mm spare with binoviewers and a 2x TAL barlow in my ST102.

1 hour ago, Rusted said:

The Lacerta 2" heat sink does indeed get hot when fed by a 180mm 7" refractor for several hours.

I have burnt my hand [only briefly] through carelessness, but as already stated, there is no [hot] exit beam like the old fashioned wedges.

P1370308 rsz.JPG

Ouch, I'm not surprised it gets hot with 180mm of aperture, glad you weren't badly burned.  My largest is an ED120 and its mostly used with an ED100 which just makes it mildly warm.

Apologies to the OP if I've succeeded in derailing the thread a bit 😳, but you did ask about the Lacerta 😉

• Like 1

On 09/06/2020 at 15:21, Rusted said:

P1370308 rsz.JPG

Now thats one set up i,d love to have a peek through 🌞

Brian 

• Like 1

You'd need a very thin head at certain times of the year to get behind the binoviewer.
My dome base ring gets in the way and rotation of the Lacerta in the focuser really doesn't help.
Hence my warning about the Brewster Angle on the Lacerta. 
You need lots of room behind the telescope which I simply don't have with my 7" f/12.
My mounting is above head height and I'd still need to be a limbo dancer in the summer.
Bung a camera on the Lacerta and it doesn't care about telescope orientation.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Rusted said:

You'd need a very thin head at certain times of the year to get behind the binoviewer.
My dome base ring gets in the way and rotation of the Lacerta in the focuser really doesn't help.
Hence my warning about the Brewster Angle on the Lacerta. 
You need lots of room behind the telescope which I simply don't have with my 7" f/12.
My mounting is above head height and I'd still need to be a limbo dancer in the summer.
Bung a camera on the Lacerta and it doesn't care about telescope orientation.

I wasn't thinking about any of that mate ... I'm thinking about wonderful seething /

boiling granule views ! outstanding umbral & penumbral AR detail ! 

Brian 

• Haha 1