SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Camera sensor exposed to elements?

Hi All. 

I'm a total newbie to Astrophotography but learning more and more all the time. Started with my camera on a tripod and then progressed to camera on a goto mount. Next is the delivery of a telescope. I'm awaiting the arrival of a Skywatcher 130PDS. The thing that concerns me a little and I can't find an answer for is will the camera sensor just be a magnet for dust particles in the air when exposed through the telescope?

I plan to purchase a Coma Corrector in the next couple of weeks and hopefully that will give the camera sensor some protection but I would like to use the telescope and camera in the meantime, weather permitting.

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Regards

Hi and welcome to SGL.

You are correct in that an unprotected sensor will act like a dust magnet and that a coma corrector or similar helps to reduce this, you can sometimes fit a filter into any 2 inch accessories you might use or a clip in filter if the camera is a DSLR.

Alan 

Agree with the above, just also taking basic precautions such as keeping the camera horizontal as much as possible and store it within a platic bag or under a cover will also help.

If you have anything like a Barlow lens, you can screw that on the camera while you are not using it as well to form a seal from the outside as well.