Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focus motor for the Genesis

Merlin66

I got my Genesis (4" Flourite f5) back in 1990. Serial 1007.

I love this scope!

It's great, but the manual focus has always be a bit of a bug bear, it works well but it's still manual. Over the years I've checked with Televue to see if one of their "latest" focus motors would fit the Genesis, and the reply is always the same - Sorry none of our focus motors will fit the original Genesis...bumma.

Finally after thirty years and 30 min in the shed I now have a fully functional focus motor on the Genesis!!!! I should have done this years ago, and it looks OK on the ol' girl....

A very simple solution a 1.5mm thick aluminium angle (35mm x 16mm, 35mm wide) drilled to match the focuser central block ( 4 x 3.2mm holes) and two M4 tapped holes for the SW motor.

A XML 80 tooth timing belt, and a 30 tooth pulley provide the drive to the exterior edge of one of the manual focus knob. (The belt can be easily dropped to get manual control.)

Works very well. Now all my scopes have the SW focus motor fitted to allow semi-remote operation.

Genesis_focus_motor01.jpg

Genesis_focus_motor02.jpg

Genesis_focus_motor03.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks guys, appreciated!

The Genesis has joined the solar imaging brigade, on White Light duty with the Baader Cool Herschel wedge.

The previous incumbent, an ED80 has been transferred, on temporary duties, as part of a smaller, more portable Spectroheliograph.

• Like 1